Can/Should Sciton Halo laser and BBL be used together? How long to wait between 1st and 2nd Halo treatment?

Hi, I've had the profractional laser and bbl treatments together in one session. Does it make sense to combine bbl with the hew halo laser? Also, how long should I ideally wait between my first and second halo treatment? I'm 40 years old and the doctor says my skin is in great condition, but I do have discoloring on my neck, especially.

Answers (18)

Halo/BBL Combo

Absolutely!  When the major underlying issue is pigmentation over coarseness we will often start the treatment with a full BBL treatment and then proceed with the Halo treatment  right after the BBL.  BBL is still my favorite for browns/pigment and Halo is excellent for addressing texture and fine lines.

My observation is that when I combine BBL and Halo treatments is that the patient experiences more than just an additive effect of the two and that you actually get a synergistic effect with the treatments when combined. I believe what is happening is that there is some melanin disruption in the melanocytes as a result of the BBL light treatment, then the 1470 wavelength (the non ablative portion) of the Halo being administered immediately after further disrupts and treats the released pigment so that it can rise to the surface of the skin as MENDs (microscopic epithelial necrotic debris) and slough off through the holes in the epidermis that are made with the ablative portion of the treatment with the 2940nm wavelength.

The best thing I can say about BBL and Halo is that both treatments are highly customizable, so be sure to pick your practitioner carefully so that you will experience the maximum benefits that this first in class hybrid laser can offer you.

Typically, I would allow at least 2 months between Halo treatments.

Laser combination with Halo and BBL

I do recommend to combine BBL and Halo treatments (by the way Halo is different than profractional laser with regards to how it operates on the skin) because they address different issues with your skin. In our practice, we find that starting your treatment with the Sciton BBL (a form of intense pulse light IPL) followed by the Sciton Halo gives you the best combination for removing the unwanted pigmentation and vascularity while allowing for ablation of the top layer of the skin and causing deeper tissue tightening. As always, your physician needs to determine if you are a candidate for the combination treatment but the beauty of the Sciton Joule is that you can modulate the response based on your individual needs.

Kaveh Alizadeh MD, MSc, FACS

Halo + BBL = Perfect Combo

I often combine these two treatment modalities in those patients that need it. Meaning they would benefit from the BBL for vascularity and pigment, but would get great results from the Halo for texture, pores, fine lines and pigment changes.  The BBL treatment is performed first, immediately followed with the Halo treatment in the same session. I would typically perform the second Halo Pro treatment in 6-8 weeks. The time will depend on how the skin has healed, and the current condition of the skin. BBL may also be added to the second treatment, if it is indicated.

Hope you found this answer helpful.  All the best!

Using Forever Young BBL and Halo Pro together is the perfect combination!

Yes, you can and it is the best combination treatment. Doing the BBL and Halo Pro together you are targeting red and brown spots as well as tone, texture and fine lines. This treatment will have the overall health of your skin glowing.
David L. Robbins, MD, FACS
David L. Robbins, MD, FACS
West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon
44 reviews

YESSSS! Halo/BBL is a great combination!!!

Hi, I will say that Halo is already the best laser treatment that we have, but is you add BBL is truly enhancing you treatment significantly. I love to give Halos and BBL! I think that you have such a synergistic effect that is totally worth it.  I would wait 1-2 moths if you need another treatment. 

Hope that helps,  Dr. RG. 

Halo and BBL

Halo and BBL can be combined. Halo is a complete skin rejuvenation treatment. You will see improvements in overall tone and texture in addition to significant removal of discoloration, reduction in fine lines, reduced pore size, skin reflectivity, and glow. the Halo can handles the browns post sun damage, and the BBL can handle the reds (such as from rosacea). The Halo treatments are generally spaced between 6 to 9 months as the collagen is built up after the first treatment. However, the Halo treatments can be repeated as soon as 1 month apart depending on patient needs. 

BBL & Halo

Absolutely combine them! The BBL results will be quickly visible so while you wait on Halo results you will see results!

BBL can also be used afterwards to help keep your skin fresh and clear as well as fight off aging! Studies have shown BBL to be anti-aging.

Halo laser combined with BBL

Yes, the two devices work very well together.  As you probably have seen already, the Halo will help with the pigment, fine lines, pore size, tone and texture of the skin, while the BBL (or any intense pulsed light device) will help with the redness and any vessels on the face.  The BBL or IPL can also stimulate collagen production in the skin so works beautifully in combination with the Halo laser.  The amount of time between treatments depends on your skin healing process and the strength/intensity of your treatment.  Most patients can have a second treatment in 4-6 weeks. 
Good luck!
Erica Linnell, MD
Bellevue Dermatologist

Combination of BBL and Halo is gives the best results.

We find that we get the best results from combination of BBL and Halo.  This combination also helps reduce Halo related redness quicker.  Both treatments are targeting reduction of sun damage, tightening of skin, wrinkle reduction.  The interval between treatments is determined by your skin type and stage of aging, health of skin.  It is however safe to repeat treatment in 6 weeks in most cases.

The Halo and BBL can absolutely be used together.

Hi 187555anon, thanks for your question. The Halo and BBL can absolutely be used together. We find this is a great way to efficiently treat multiple dermatologic issues in a single session. The Halo is ideal for treating fine lines and wrinkles, and stimulating collagen production. The BBL is ideal for treatment of red and brown discoloration. The treatment is highly customizable, so it can deliver improvement to a range of ages, skin types and goals. 

We recommend one to three initial Halo treatments, spaced about 4-6 weeks apart. Most patients also benefit from an initial series of BBL treatments, spaced about approximately 3-4 weeks apart. Is it possible to continue combining these treatments, or to separate them as needed. Generally, combining the treatments can produce more significant redness and swelling in recovery, so you may want to consider this when developing your treatment timeline. Consult with a board-certified aesthetic dermatologist to determine the best treatment plan for your skin and goals. 

Sue Ellen Cox, MD
Sue Ellen Cox, MD
Raleigh-Durham Dermatologic Surgeon
6 reviews

Ask a Provider

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors.
FOR FREE.