Can/Should Sciton Halo laser and BBL be used together? How long to wait between 1st and 2nd Halo treatment?

Hi, I've had the profractional laser and bbl treatments together in one session. Does it make sense to combine bbl with the hew halo laser? Also, how long should I ideally wait between my first and second halo treatment? I'm 40 years old and the doctor says my skin is in great condition, but I do have discoloring on my neck, especially.

Using Forever Young BBL and Halo Pro together is the perfect combination!

Yes, you can and it is the best combination treatment. Doing the BBL and Halo Pro together you are targeting red and brown spots as well as tone, texture and fine lines. This treatment will have the overall health of your skin glowing.

West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

Halo + BBL = Perfect Combo

I often combine these two treatment modalities in those patients that need it. Meaning they would benefit from the BBL for vascularity and pigment, but would get great results from the Halo for texture, pores, fine lines and pigment changes.  The BBL treatment is performed first, immediately followed with the Halo treatment in the same session. I would typically perform the second Halo Pro treatment in 6-8 weeks. The time will depend on how the skin has healed, and the current condition of the skin. BBL may also be added to the second treatment, if it is indicated.

Hope you found this answer helpful.  All the best!

Burke Robinson, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Halo/BBL Combo

Absolutely!  When the major underlying issue is pigmentation over coarseness we will often start the treatment with a full BBL treatment and then proceed with the Halo treatment  right after the BBL.  BBL is still my favorite for browns/pigment and Halo is excellent for addressing texture and fine lines.

My observation is that when I combine BBL and Halo treatments is that the patient experiences more than just an additive effect of the two and that you actually get a synergistic effect with the treatments when combined. I believe what is happening is that there is some melanin disruption in the melanocytes as a result of the BBL light treatment, then the 1470 wavelength (the non ablative portion) of the Halo being administered immediately after further disrupts and treats the released pigment so that it can rise to the surface of the skin as MENDs (microscopic epithelial necrotic debris) and slough off through the holes in the epidermis that are made with the ablative portion of the treatment with the 2940nm wavelength.

The best thing I can say about BBL and Halo is that both treatments are highly customizable, so be sure to pick your practitioner carefully so that you will experience the maximum benefits that this first in class hybrid laser can offer you.

Typically, I would allow at least 2 months between Halo treatments.

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Halo and BBL

Halo and BBL can be combined. Halo is a complete skin rejuvenation treatment. You will see improvements in overall tone and texture in addition to significant removal of discoloration, reduction in fine lines, reduced pore size, skin reflectivity, and glow. the Halo can handles the browns post sun damage, and the BBL can handle the reds (such as from rosacea). The Halo treatments are generally spaced between 6 to 9 months as the collagen is built up after the first treatment. However, the Halo treatments can be repeated as soon as 1 month apart depending on patient needs. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

BBL & Halo

Absolutely combine them! The BBL results will be quickly visible so while you wait on Halo results you will see results!

BBL can also be used afterwards to help keep your skin fresh and clear as well as fight off aging! Studies have shown BBL to be anti-aging.

Melanie L. Petro, MD
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Halo laser combined with BBL

Yes, the two devices work very well together.  As you probably have seen already, the Halo will help with the pigment, fine lines, pore size, tone and texture of the skin, while the BBL (or any intense pulsed light device) will help with the redness and any vessels on the face.  The BBL or IPL can also stimulate collagen production in the skin so works beautifully in combination with the Halo laser.  The amount of time between treatments depends on your skin healing process and the strength/intensity of your treatment.  Most patients can have a second treatment in 4-6 weeks. 
Good luck!

Erica Linnell, MD
Seattle Dermatologist

Laser combination with Halo and BBL

I do recommend to combine BBL and Halo treatments (by the way Halo is different than profractional laser with regards to how it operates on the skin) because they address different issues with your skin. In our practice, we find that starting your treatment with the Sciton BBL (a form of intense pulse light IPL) followed by the Sciton Halo gives you the best combination for removing the unwanted pigmentation and vascularity while allowing for ablation of the top layer of the skin and causing deeper tissue tightening. As always, your physician needs to determine if you are a candidate for the combination treatment but the beauty of the Sciton Joule is that you can modulate the response based on your individual needs.

Kaveh Alizadeh MD, MSc, FACS

Kaveh Alizadeh, MD, MSc, FACS

BBL + Halo for the win

It is definitely worth doing both together. Each treatment has its advantages or issues it addresses well, but they can certainly be combined, BBL first, immediately followed by Halo with excellent results. 

Arlo J. Miller, MD, PhD
Issaquah Dermatologic Surgeon

Halo and BBL combination

You can absolutely use BBL and Halo combined in one session. The BBL is done first, followed by the Halo Pro. The BBL is my favorite when it comes to sundamge/pigment issues. The Halo is then helping with texture, tone, pore size, it gives your skin an overall glow and youthfulness.

I typically have patients wait 6-8 weeks between Halo's.

Every patient's needs are different. I would see an experienced Dr. or Nurse to customize your treatment.

Clark Schierle, MD, PhD, FACS

Using Halo and BBL together in the same treatment session

Thank you very much for your question.  In my practice, I often combine these two treatment modalities in those patients that need it.  I, as well as my patients, have been thrilled with the results.  Typically, the BBL treatment is done first and then I follow this immediately with the Halo Pro treatment.  In my practice, in the patients that need it, I would typically perform the second Halo Pro treatment in 4-8 weeks.  The time will depend on how aggressive the first treatment was, how the skin has healed, and the current condition of the skin.   In my patients, BBL may also be added to the second treatment.   Best of luck to you!  

Jeffrey G. Lind II, MD
The Woodlands General Surgeon