IPL for sun spots (but I have melasma)?

About 5 years ago I did some laser treatments on my skin, IPL and Genesis. All went well until I went to Mexico and came back with melasma above my upper lip. I have been using retinol and Vivier Vitamin C serum and a skin brightner from SkinTX since then, no hydroquinone. My esthetician is recommending that I do IPL again but only on my sun spots. Is this a good idea since I have melasma issues? Sun spots are mostly on my cheeks. Thank you!

Melasma and Sun Spots -- Best Treamtent Is Clear + Brilliant / Fraxel 1927 / Aerolase w Microneedling PRP, Pro Yellow is Useful

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Do NOT use IPL if you have melasma.  Get a formal evaluation for fraxel/clear + brilliant and/or viva/intensif with microneedling / PRP.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Treating melasma

Thank you for your question Nattie1974. I understand your concern. IPL is a great treatment for facial rejuvenation. Melasma is a condition characterized by the appearance of dark patches on the skin. It is caused by an imbalance of hormones inside the body that makes the skin very sensitive to the sun. Treatment for melasma includes multiple modalities. First sunscreen must be used religiously. Second I recommend a topical skin care regimen for my patients including products such as hydroquinone, kojic acid, retinoids, salicylic acid, vitamin C, vitamin E, and hyaluronic acid. Once these products are used for at least four weeks treatments such as IPL and fractional ablative lasers can be used. Care must be taken such that the settings used are not too aggressive.

Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

IPL for sun spots (but I have melasma)?

Thanks for your query. IPL helps in lightening the marks so it will work on your melasma/pigmentations. Ipl combined with peels and topical medication helps in lightening the marks.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon