IPL for sun spots (but I have melasma)?

About 5 years ago I did some laser treatments on my skin, IPL and Genesis. All went well until I went to Mexico and came back with melasma above my upper lip. I have been using retinol and Vivier Vitamin C serum and a skin brightner from SkinTX since then, no hydroquinone. My esthetician is recommending that I do IPL again but only on my sun spots. Is this a good idea since I have melasma issues? Sun spots are mostly on my cheeks. Thank you!

Melasma and Sun Spots -- Best Treamtent Is Clear + Brilliant / Fraxel 1927 / Aerolase w Microneedling PRP, Pro Yellow is Useful

Do NOT use IPL if you have melasma.  Get a formal evaluation for fraxel/clear + brilliant and/or viva/intensif with microneedling / PRP.  Best, Dr. Emer.

IPL for sun spots (but I have melasma)?

Thanks for your query. IPL helps in lightening the marks so it will work on your melasma/pigmentations. Ipl combined with peels and topical medication helps in lightening the marks.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon