Can I just go to a professional tattoo artist who can tattoo over my melasma in my skin tone? (Photo)

I have had melasma for the past three years and it's not going anywhere. I've tried creams and home remedies to no avail. I refuse to risk having peels or laser due to high potential of it coming back worse. my question is, can I just go to a professional tattoo artist who is able to tattoo over my melasma in my skin tone? I just want a chance to start fresh with even skin. please help.

Tattooing over melasma- not a good idea.

Not a good idea as I have seen marked worsening of the condition with this. Skin colour changes with tanning and to get a good colour match is extremely difficult . Adding colour to darker areas can make the contrast even worse. Also there is a problem if you want to remove the tattoo as it can oxidise- namely turn black with lasers. 

Melasma can not be completely cured, however effective treatment are possible. This is because your skin is extremely sensitive to UV and even the smallest amount can stimulate your pigment cells to produce colour. The mainstay of treatment is strict UV protection- hats, sunglasses and SPF every 4 hours.

I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams.

In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels, and in other cases I use a tablet called Tranexamic acid to help.

All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist. Brisbane, Australia 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Melarase creams for melasma

Skin tone tattoos tend to oxidize and change color. I would use Melarase AM, Melarase PM, Melapads, and Replenish cream to lighten the melasma. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Melasma and Sun Spots -- Best Treamtent Is Clear + Brilliant / Aerolase w Microneedling PRP, Pro Yellow is Useful

Melasma flares up and down , doing a tattoo to cover this up wouldn't be smart as most likely the melasma will change and also doing treatments for melasma will then be restricted. I suggest lightening creams, lasers, microneedling/PRP in combination.  We see significant improvements.  Best, Dr. Emer.