Is this Melasma or is it a Cafe Au Lait Spot? (photo)

I have several spots like this on my face (this one is my forehead). I thought it was Melasma but recently had a dermal neurofibroma removed from my back (appeared in the last year). I also have inguinal freckling which I've had ever since I can remember. After reading about Neurofibromatosis, I'm starting to wonder if what I thought was Melasma is actually Cafe Au Lait spots. These spots have gotten worse over time. I also had some nerve pain in my hands and feet not too long ago.

This is melasma and NOT a CALM

The picture shows that you have melasma and not a CALM or Cafe Au Lait Macule. Melasma can not be completely cured, however effective treatment are possible. This is because your skin is extremely sensitive to UV and even the smallest amount can stimulate your pigment cells to produce colour. The mainstay of treatment is strict UV protection- hats, sunglasses and SPF every 4 hours

I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams.

In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels, and in other cases I use a tablet called Tranexamic acid to help.

All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist. Brisbane, Australia 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Melarase creams for melasma

Melasma is common in this area. I would recommend Melarase AM, Melarase PM, Melapads, and Replenish in addition to some light chemical peels. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Melasma and Sun Spots -- Best Treamtent Is Clear + Brilliant / Fraxel 1927 / Aerolase w Microneedling PRP, Pro Yellow is Useful

Melasma requires a series of treatments.  Sometimes tattoo laser or fractional RUBY can help but low level laser is often required with microneedling/PRP.  I suggest lightening skin care and sunscreen with peels in between lasers.  Please see an expert for a combination treatment.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Brown Spots

Hello CNN.  If you have several of these spots on the face, it's unlikely that they are birthmarks, especially if you did not have them at birth.  To treat Melasma, we use a high strength hydroquinone at 8%.  To see the before and after photos of our other Los Angeles Melasma patients, click on the link below.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Melasma

Hi. Your photo looks like melasma, but I would suggest arranging a face to face dermatology consult given your medical history and the other features you describe. Best wishes.

Justine Kluk, MBChB, MRCP
London Dermatologist