Is it possible to remove dark cafe au lait birthmark? (Photos)

I have a dark cafe au lait birthmark on and by my right eye. I was wondering is it possible to remove it completely or will it just be lightened. Also, if it does remove completely, what are the chances that the pigmentation will come back? And is it safe/painful since it is around the eye area? What are some things I should look for/research in a dermatologist around my area to get the best treatment?

Cafe au lait removal

Thank you for your photos. Cafe Au lait spots can be removed or improved with laser therapy. In asian skin, it is safer to use an Q-switched Nd-Yag laser to remove the pigment. At the same time you will need to have your eye shielded to prevent the risk of eye damage. Hope this helps!Johnson C. Lee MDPlastic Surgery

Beverly Hills Physician

Birthmark Removal -- Laser Treatments

This can be treated by tattoo laser, sometimes they recur however. I suggest seeing an expert for treatment options.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Birthmark Removal

Hi Regina, the photos posted are very small, but we are still able to give you an idea for expectations.First, the type of laser you are looking for a q-switched Nd:Yg (q-switched Yag).  There are many brands, but this is the type used for your birthmark.  You should also look for a practice that has corneal shields.  These are the eye inserts that go under the lid and you will need them to get right up to the edge fo the eye.  Because this is a sensitive area, you will also need Lidocaine injections at the site to help deal with pain.While we have removed cafe-au-lait birthmarks completely in the past, we have had a few that either do not fade completely or can recur after a period of months or years.  Unfortunately there is no way to tell with a patient, but what we can say is that the vast majority are removed successfully and do not come back.  To see before and after pictures of our Los Angeles birthmark removal patients, click on the link below.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD