Was my implant placed in a wrong position? (Photo)

Hi, an implant was placed in my upper jaw yesterday. Directly after the surgery I felt a lot of pressure on the adjacent tooth. The doc took an x-ray and from that to me it looked like the implant was placed to close to the next tooth (I sketched the position in an older x-ray). Now, f I press with on the adjacent tooth i feel some little bit of pain. I'm worried that the implant was wrongly placed. Is it to close to the adjacent tooth? Is there some risk of traumatising the adjacent tooth?

Dental implants

The distance between a dental implant and adjacent teeth is important for both the implant and the natural adjacent teeth. A periapical x-ray might not be precise is showing this distance. Please follow up with you dentist and get x-rays at different angles. Good luck

Implant healing

It appears from the photos that the implant is placed in a good position. It is possible that the pressure is just from the surgery and will resolve in time. I would give it at least 14 days to heal.

Joseph H. Hidalgo, DDS
Plano Dentist

Dental Implant position

Hi:

Without X-ray it is difficult to correctly asses your situation.  However, since the implant surgery was done very recently, there may be normal tenderness on the adjacent tooth for he next 2 to 4 weeks.  Its always best to communicate your symptoms and concerns with your dentist right away.

Dr. Maddahi

Kourosh Maddahi, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist

Damage to adjacent tooth from dental implants

If the implant is positioned too close to adjacent tooth, it can certainly compromise it. Was the implant placed using cone beam CT scan? Was there a 3-D planning with surgical guide approach used? The current position can be assessed using X-rays or even better but a CBCT. If too close, it is best to remove and graft the site.

H. Ryan Kazemi, DMD
Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon