Can a Breast Reduction Be Preformed Under Local Anesthesia or Twilight Sedation?

Can a Breast Reduction Be Performed Under Local Anesthesia or Twilight Sedation?

While this could be attempted, this is a surgery that is performed under general anesthesia by the vast majority of plastic surgeons in the US.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts and reductions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Breast reduction under sedation

While it is certainly possible to perform a breast reduction under sedation with local, you are probably better off to have it under general.

Anesthesia for breast reduction

I would not recommend straight local anesthesia for breast reduction except in a very select group of patients. In my practice our Board Certified Anesthesiologists routinely give patients a light general anesthesia where the patient is not awake, but they are breathing on their own and are not intubated. Along with supplemental local anesthesia, this method provides a safe, comfortable, experience for the patient and an appropriate environment for the surgery.

Speak to your surgeon and anesthesiologist about the best approach for your case.

Eugene J. Sidoti, Jr., MD
Scarsdale Plastic Surgeon

This depends on the size of the breasts and the patient.  By definition a breast reduction involves removal of at least 300 grams of tissue from each breast.  This tissue usually consists mainly of dense breast tissue which is very difficult to anesthetize.  Therefore, almost all real breast reductions are done under general anesthesia.  However, under certain circumstances the proceudre can be done using Tumescent local anesthesia or IV sedation.  If it is a smaller breast in a cooperative patient, this may be possible.  However, a lift only can certainly be done under local anesthesia or IV sedation.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

General Anesthesia Much Safer Than Local For Reduction

I think that a general anesthetic for your reduction would be much safer than local (with or without sedation).  The problem is that levels of local anesthesia required would border on, or be, toxic.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Breast Reduction and Type of Anesthesia?

Although breast reduction can (and is) performed under local anesthesia with sedation, this would not be my preference or recommendation.  I find that the use of general anesthesia provided by a board-certified anesthesiologist provides for optimal patient comfort, immobility, experience, and outcomes.

Breast reduction under sedation

If the surgeon is experienced in obtaining good local anesthesia and the patient desires sedation and is not too anxious it can be safely done with iv sedation. I have done many, and they have gone well. Patient selection and close cooperation with the anesthesiology team is important.

Breast Reduction under Sedation Anesthesia

Breast reduction may be possible using local anesthetic along with infiltration of dilute anesthetic fluid into the breast tissue. However, this may only be practical in selected patients. Local anesthesia with sedation by an anesthesiologist however, can be done and I have done it successfully in selected patients. However, the choice should be made based on each patients medical condition and the experience of the surgeon and anesthesiologist. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction under Local/Twilight Anesthesia

Although it may be possible to perform small reductions in select patients,  most breast reductions are done under general anesthesia which provides both safety and comfort for the patient.  Additionally, acheiving an adequate reduction can potentially be compromised with patient discomfort which is not an issue with general anesthesia.  

Mike Song, MD

Local anesthesia and reduction mammoplasty

Yes, breast reduction can be done under local anesthesia with I.V. sedation. I am not sure what the advantage is, unless it would in some way  lower the operating room expense. My problem with long cases under local-I.V. sed. is patient discomfort in other places, back hurts, arm hurts from b.p. cuff ,ect.- 3 or 4 hours of surgery can be done, but for me I prefer gen. anes.- the patient is not restless,it is safe, and local anes. is used for hemostasis, and it helps with the level of anesthesia.

Terry A. Cromwell, MD (retired)
Lafayette Plastic Surgeon