How close to goal weight should I be for tummy tuck consultation?

Previously I was very toned and at my ideal weight but my stomach laxity from muscle separation and back to back pregnancies bothered me so much I gained back 15 lbs to fill in the loose skin. I'm beyond ready for a tummy tuck now, but should I first lose that 15 extra lbs before consultations? Current: 5'6" 150lbs ideal weight 135.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Hello Dear, thank you so much for your questions and concerns

The Tummy Tuck consists in the removal of excess skin and abdominal fat and muscle flaccidity correction. This situation of excess skin and relaxation of the abdominal wall is often in patients who have had weight gain and subsequent loss or in womenwho have had multiple pregnancies. Tummy Tuck (Abdominiplasty)  get a flatter, firmer abdomenand a narrower waist.

The most recommended would be an assessment in person with your surgeon certified plastic and there  determine what would be your objectives.

Hope to hear from you soon, best wishes!!

Ramon Morales, MD

Goal weight for a tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. Normally if you are within 10 pounds of your goal weight you are ready for your tummy tuck. In addition it is recommended that your BMI should be less than 30.  Best of luck.

Jon E. Rast, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Ideal Weight & Consultation

It always encourage my patients to be as close to a maintainable healthy weight before seeing tummy tuck surgery. However, in terms of scheduling your consultation, I think if you are within 10 pounds of your goal weight, that would be fine. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question.  Based on your description, it sounds like you are very close to being ready to proceed with both consultation and surgery. Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with  body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.    Seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will  be your next/best step.  Best wishes.

Tummy Tuck goal weight

Hi.  This is a very common questions patients ask.  The simple answer is be as close to a goal weight that is realistic to maintain.  It does you no good if you drop to a weight that you can never maintain.  The most important aspect as well is the evaluation by your surgeon.  He will specifically be looking at where any excess fatty fullness is located to determine any possible limitations of your surgery.  He can then talk to you about what additional benefit can be acquired by further weight loss.  

Joseph R. Coscia, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

The recommended BMI is less than 30. This is the recommendation of the American society of plastic surgery. The reason simply, is increased chance of complications. These include but limited to, pulmonary embolus, deep venous thrombosis, delayed wound healing and increase infection rate.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Tummy Tuck and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote possible. Please be mindful that the in person physical exam is the most important and could potentially alter your treatment plan.

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  Based on your current, and goal, weight you are certainly within the range to pursue surgical consultations to help you obtain information and to determine which surgeon you would like to proceed with your surgery.  Your consultation can help provide additional motivation to lose the weight and can give you an estimate on timing to have it performed.  Hope this helps.

How close to goal weight should I be for tummy tuck consultation

A good general rule of plastic surgeons for tummy tuck procedures is to have the patients be within approximately 10 pounds of their goal weight and to have a BMI of less than 30. That "goal" weight though needs to be a number that is stable and that can be easily maintained. At 5'6 and 150lbs, your BMI is currently around 24, so that is fine. Best of luck. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Most plastic surgeons suggest that you finish having children, get your weight within 10 pounds of your ideal weight, and have a BMI less than 30 before undergoing an abdominoplasty with repair of the stretched out abdominal muscles and liposuction of selective areas, in order to achieve the best long term cosmetic result with the least potential complications. There is no reason that you should wait to have at least a consultation.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that you find a surgeon certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon