How long after a TT should I wait before doing Pilates?

I know you shouldn't do ab exercises for several months after a TT. Pilates is all core and ab workouts, how long do I need to wait? Is there another exercise regimen I can do in the meanwhile?

Post Op Activity Restrictions

Thank you for your question. Your operating surgeon will be the best one to advise you about post op activity restrictions. I recommend 3 weeks with no cardio activity post op and another 3 weeks of avoiding heavy lifting and abdominal workouts. Your Plastic Surgeon may have their own preferred protocol and clear you based on your unique situation.

All the best

Pilates after TT.

Because a good abdominoplasty also tightens the core abdominal muscles, you should wait at least 2-3 months before aggressive abdominal exercise.

When to Resume Exercise

Generally patients may resume all forms of exercise by 6 weeks after tummy tuck surgery. I would think of planks at 6 weeks, but would wait for two more weeks before resuming Pilates. The reasoning has to do with the fact that it takes at least 6 weeks to regain maximum strength in the area of muscle repair following its repair.

George Sanders, MD

Exercise after a tummy tuck

Thank you for your question about your tummy tuck.

• You shouldn't even try Pilates for 8 weeks after your tummy tuck.
  • When you start back, you must start back slowly - anything that hurts, you need to stop.
  • Your exercise can include walking, swimming and arm and leg weights -
  • As your surgeon for specific instructions since doing too much too soon can set you back or injure you.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Tummy tuck and exercise

It is always best to ask for recommendations from the performing surgeon who may have technique-specific instructions for your type of surgery. I generally allow patients to do light exercises at 2 weeks and full activities starting at 4 weeks. This means at 4 weeks they can EASE into full exercises including Pilates. At any time if there is any discomfort, it is usually your body's way of telling you to rest and to try again later. Eventually, your body will be able to handle your routine strenuous activities.  Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Tummy Tuck

Generally I recommend casual walking after 2-3 week, walking for exercise at about 3-4 weeks[treadmill ok, elliptical not ok], and more strenuous exercise after 6 weeks.

Every patient and every surgery is different, so your recovery may affect this timeline; and will be closely monitored by me for the first 6 weeks.

Kevin Dieffenbach, MD
Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Pilates after a tummy tuck?

For my patients who are healing without any delays I allow them to start abdominal exercises after 6 to 8 weeks. I think it is important to start gradually and progressively increase back to your normal regimen.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Core exercises

I'm glad you are so active and looking forward to getting back to pilates.  My first advice would be to ask your surgeon what her or his advice is as I'm sure your surgeon has an opinion on this.  In my practice, I ask my abdominoplasty patients to avoid any exercise for a month, and then ease into things again.  It is likely that when you start up again, you are not going to be able to do the things you used to without some initial discomfort.  Remember that even without your surgery, you have taken a break from working out for some time and you would expect to need to ease into things anyway.  Start slow, listen to your body, and gradually start your exercise regimen again when your surgeon directs.  Before long you should be back at your pre-surgery activity levels but looking better than ever.

Dr. L

Thank you for your question.   It is very important to follow  the specific advice of your plastic surgeon and not rely on Internet advice.  In my practice I encouraged patients to wait at least 6 weeks before aggressive Pilates or abdominal workouts or core workouts.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon