What can I do to flatten my tummy tuck scar?

I had a tummy tuck in March, so I'm just at 7 months. My scar is raised and dark still. What are my options for flattening the scar after so much time has passed?

Scars

Hi, Thank you for your question. 

Tummy tuck scars are an inevitable part of tummy tuck surgery. Remember that your abdominoplasty scars will get worse before they get better. Your incision will heal, but scars go through a series of changes before they are completely healed and that can take months. In contrary to many other surgical scars they will be roughly at their worst in about 3 months after the procedure. It may take up to a year for your tummy tuck scars to flatten and fade. Most doctors take great care in placing the incisions well below the bikini lines so that they remain hidden.

Below are some helpful tips on how to take care your scars:

1. Medical paper tape, or Steri-strips is recommended by many surgeons and is used directly after the surgery. Surgical tape has shown to improve scar appearance by stimulating wound healing thus aiding to tummy tuck surgery recovery. More specifically, it helps reduce tension on the wound and wound bed which is known to play a role in the formation of excessive scar tissue.
  2. Silicone dressings or strips is one of the effective scar therapy. Example of silicone sheets are ScarAway, Scar FX and Dimethicone.
  3. Bio-oil and Arnica are also recommended.

Goodluck!

Thailand Plastic Surgeon

Scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi, Thank you for your question. 

Goodluck!

Thailand Plastic Surgeon

Help Flatten Tummy Tuck Scar

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

If you find that any of these treatments do not help and that you are uncomfortable with the position of your scars it would be a good idea to visit your surgeon to have the area examined to ensure that healing is progressing properly. Good luck!

Help Flatten Tummy Tuck Scar

Scarring after a tummy tuck.

Your scar is still quite young and immature at seven months old. At this point, you could probably accelerate the healing process using silicone sheeting or liquid. The liquid application is often much more easy and stays in place without much attention. A normal treatment would last about 12 weeks. If you liked the results, you could continue this another 12 weeks.

Scarring after a tummy tuck.

Without photographs it is impossible to assess you. Fact: scars can take as long as two years to mature. So a 7 month old scar is still fresh and needs to undergo maturation. If you are worried, in all seriousness go and see your surgeon to get an assessment.