How long would you have to wear a garment (faja) for after getting a TT or BBL?

TT or BBL

Greetings

Thank you for your question. 3 to 6 week all depends on your Surgeons instructions.

After the Tummy Tuck operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will have stiches and bandages which will be removed after the 10th day. You can start to do your daily activities 3 days after the operation but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Faja

For best results your compression garment should be worn at least 3 months. Some clinicians will have their patients maintain a garment for 6 months for best contour. 

DrBurnett#realself100

Post-op compression garment

I generally recommend 6 weeks total, 3 weeks full time and 3 weeks at night.  Any additional time is helpful but up to the patient's discretion.

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Garments after Surgery

Nancy.   After Tummytuck, I first place my patients in an abdominal binder, as this garment is more comfortable right after surgery with bandages. After one week I place them in a surgical girdle to be worn 4-6 weeks, as it helps with swelling reduction and skin retraction. After BBL, I place my patients in form fitting faja for 6-8 weeks, as it helps maintain shape of augmented buttocks. I do not do both procedures simultaneously because the patients are unable to rest in a comfortable position because they are unable to sit or lay on their butts for 2 weeks after BBL. I do BBL first, to obtain adequate fat for transfer, to be followed by tummytuck 3-6 months later. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good Luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Garment duration after Tummy tuck.

Most of my patients will wear a comfortable compressive garment for about six weeks after surgery. First week or so is a binder that we provide, after that patients will wear  any comfortably compressive garment. 

After 3 weeks if things are healing well the garment is not absolutely necessary, but it helps with the swelling that patients get while upright.

Initially, the scar across the lower abdomen traps fluid above it.You may have experienced this if you have had a c-section. As the scar matures fluid can move beneath it  and puffiness above the scar goes away.

When my patients want to get rid of the garment  I suggest a test-- Don't wear it for a day and see if you become puffy above the scar. If you get puffy, then the garment is still helping so wear it and repeat the test in a week or so. If there is no difference then the garment can go.

Your PS will likely have his or her own regimen, but I hope this helps.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Post-Op Compression Garment

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks.

With the ability of the compassion garment to help progress healing properly and minimize swelling as much as possible, it is best to be worn per the instructions provided by your surgeon. If you ever find at all that you are having concerns about post-op healing it is best to visit your surgeon personally for a follow-up to have the area examined for proper healing. Good luck to you!

The longer the better!

I typically do a significant amount of liposuction at the same time of the abdominoplasty - and this often involves the "anterior flap" - to sculpt and enhance the "violin" shape to the area above and around the umbilicus.  I feel that this is very important and greatly improves results and ultimate contour.  Because of the liposuction and its effect on vascularity, I sometimes do not start the binder or faja for a week or so - in order to avoid injury to the skin.  After a week or so, I encourage more compression which helps prevent seroma (fluid pocket) formation - and also helps with the shape in the long run.  The binder functions as a splint for the healing muscle repair and helps prevent suture cheese wire pull through.  Scar tissue takes over 2 months to reach 80% of its eventual strength.  For this reason, I like compression for at least 2 months - and 3 is even better.  Every surgeon has a different theory on this and may modify it based on their technique or personal opinion.  You really need to discuss this with your operative surgeon.  Make sure he/she is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  This is the only board recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties that requires residency training in Abdominoplasty ("Tummy Tuck") procedures!

Joshua Lampert, MD,FACS

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Compression?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your upcoming procedure. I recommend wearing a compression garment for 6 weeks following tummy tuck surgery. Marena makes quality post operative support garments. You should also follow your plastic surgeon's advice regarding level of physical activity and use of a compression garment. Hope this helps!

Compression Garment

Compression garments will typically be worn for 6 weeks or more post op. Each Plastic Surgeon will have their own preferred post op protocol so you need to inquire with your operating surgeon and let them advise you.

All the best

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon