Best Procedure for Double Chin?

I have double chin. What procedure would be best? I am considering a procedure.

Double Chin Procedure

Liposuction is a great less-invasive alternative to neck lifts.
Consult with your surgeon to see if this is best for the results you
wish to achieve.

"Dr.D"

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin surgery & liposuction are often effective for the dreaded double chin

A double chin occurs when your jaw (mandible) is relatively weak compared to the amount of soft tissue under your neck.  And a double chin never looks good, you won't see many leading male or female actors with double chins.

Depending on the severity of your problem you may benefit from surgical or non-surgical chin augmentation, to strengthen you jawline.  If you have a chin implant surgery, the same incision may be used to remove any extra fat under the neck.  In severe cases, loose skin may need to be tightened.  This requires a neck lift procedure. Strengthening the jawline is often more important in reducing a double chin that removing fat under the neck.  

In summary, double chins can be best treated by making your jaw stronger and/or removing and extra fat or hanging skin.

Feel free to click on the link below to review before and after photos of my patients who have received a Chin Augmentation with Liposuction.

David C. Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment options for a double chin

Liposuction, neck lifts, and facelifts are the three basic ways to treat a double chin. Sometimes a chin implant is also a possibility. The choice depends on your skin elasticity which is usually closely related to your age. If your skin will shrink, a liposuction or neck lift procedure can be done but if your skin is lax, you need it removed as in a facelift.

Double chin options

Thank you for your question. There are several options for contouring the double chin area.

Non surgical options include:
1) Kybella to dissolve the fatty tissue in the submental area
2) Cool-mini treatment from Coolsculpting to target the same area
3) Adding a skin tightening device such as Ulthera or Profound to the neck tissue in conjunction with the one of the above to further tighten the skin.

Surgical options include:
1) Straight liposuction which would reduce the pinchable fat under the chin
2) Anterior neck lift with liposuction which would also allow for tightening of the platysmal muscles in the midline to allow for tighter neck contour
3) Traditional neck lift which does the same as 2) but also removes some excess skin in the neck.

I would recommend that you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who offers the various options above to discuss the pros/cons of each option and help you decide which is the best for you.

Treatment Options for Double Chin

There are several ways to treat a double chin. Liposuction and neck lift procedures can give you excellent results. You would need to schedule a consultaion with a plastic surgeon to choose the best option for you.

Double Chin

There are 4 components that should be looked at: 1. Is the bone structure adequate? An under projecting chin can lead to a 'double chin' appearance that presents at a young age and gets progressively worse with aging and tissue laxity. 2. Is there excess fatty tissue? In the young patient with good skin elasticity and adequate bone support, liposuction alone may help significantly. 3. Is there platysma laxity? The two sheets of muscle that support the neck can apart from each other under the chin, and loose, and be a significant component of double chin or submental fullness. 4. Is skin laxity a primary problem? This is common in older patients and may require lifting to correct. 
One or more of the following procedures may be required to correct the double chin, and, it varies patient to patient depending on the state of the aforementioned areas: liposuction; chin augmentation - I prefer genioplasty in this situation because it tightens the muscles under the chin in addition to improving bony support; platysmaplasty - tightening the platysma muscles through a submittal incision; lower face and neck lift.

P. Craig Hobar, MD

Best procedure for double chin

It is very difficult to give an opinion based without any pictures.  When patients have a recessive chin, a Silastic chin implant is inserted through a sub mental approach under local anesthesia.
A double chin is usually caused by fatty deposits in the neck. There are 2 locations of fatty deposits in the neck, and these are sub-mental  and sub-platysmal fat deposits. Sub-mental fat can be removed with simple liposuction, while sub-platysmal fat must be removed surgically and then a platysma-plasty is required. This is called in neck lift.
For many examples of neck lifts and chin implants for double chin improvement, please see the link below

Best Procedure for Double Chin

Different procedures could be recommended, liposuction, liposuction in combination with Thermage, neck lift with tightening of the muscle underneath the chin

Jhonny Salomon, MD

Neck liposuction for double chin

Liposuction is usually an amazing, less-invasive alternative to conventional neck lifting. I would advise a consultation for liposuction with or without laser to tighten the neck and jawline.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Getting rid of a double chin

There are a variety of ways to treat a double chin. A consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon will allow you to receive individualized recommendations based on your specific anatomy. To me, the best procedure to get rid of a double chin is a neck lift that usually involves tightening the skin and muscles and removing some of the fatty tissue in the area with liposuction. This procedure may or may not be combined with a facelift to give nice all-round improvement. again, a consultation with a plastic surgeon will help you determine what will give you the best result.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon