Is 3 wks after surgery too late to begin use of a compression garment and how long per day should I use the garment?

I had a leg & arm lift as well as liposuction. Both incissions are like a T scar. The compression garment was irritating & prolonging healing at the junction of the T cut. It's been 25 days, since my surgery. I just found a compression garment that doesn't irritate the part that's still healing between my thighs.

It is not too late to begin wearing supportive compression sleeves. After a brachioplasty, it is usually recommended that patients wear compression sleeves all the time for 1 month, then 12 hours day or night for 2 additional weeks. The garments can help minimize swelling and tension on the incisions as they heal. Hope this helps.

Leg and arm lift - is it ok to wear a compression garment now?

Thank you for asking about your arm and thigh lifts.
  • I am so sorry you had trouble with garments that fitted you comfortably.
  • It's not too late to wear one -
  • The purpose is to support your body while you heal. They reduce the swelling.
  • But they do not, as best we know, affect your final result.
  • After 2 weeks, I tell my patients to wear the garments as they feel they need it -
  • For some this is at night, others during the day, others round-the-clock.
  • Ask your surgeon if this is a good approach for you.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS