Veneers over crooked teeth at 22? (Photos)

I have an anterior open bite which I doubt I'll ever fix so I want my teeth to look better cosmetically. Cosmetic braces cost the same as veneers yet they wont look how I want them too. When I smile naturally you can't see my bottom teeth so the bite doesn't matter. My teeth cause me continuous anxiety and low self esteem. It would change my life to have them look like veneers. Is it a good idea or what do you suggest? I'm a working class adult so financially veneers every 10 years seems scary.

Veneers or ortho? #DrSoftTouch

Based on your photos and taking your age into consideration, I would recommend orthodontic treatment before considering veneers. If you are still unhappy with the appearance of your teeth after you teeth have been moved into proper position, consider seeing an experienced cosmetic dentist for a veneer consult.  I hope this helps! Click "save" under my name, if you'd like to ask me more questions in the future.

Veneers can work, but braces is better

Veneers every 10 years is ridiculous and only stated by inexperienced dentists or uninformed non dentists (I have cases 18 years old, but still going strong, and have replaced cases 30 years old that were replaced merely for better colors).  But that is not the reason not to do veneers.  The reason is that without braces, veneers may lead to elective root canal therapy or extractions.  

They aren't the same fee, plan on $4000-8000 for braces, and $12,000-20,000 for veneers.  I would question the experience of an office that offers them at the same fee.

Braces should be considered, and then perhaps veneers when done if not completely happy.

Veneers

The main reason you should NOT do veneers is that you would need to remove way too much healthy tooth structure to get a result. This result, by the way, would never look as good as you straightening your teeth with braces or Invisalign. Nothing beats your own healthy teeth!

Veneers

Thank you for posting your question!  I understand your cosmetic concern but your function dental health is just as important.  Correcting the Anterior Open bite will bring greater stability during normal chewing function and help you keep your teeth long term.  When teeth are in alignment with each other it is easier to correct the cosmetic concerns.  It is best to get the teeth in a better position before you consider getting veneers.  It will be an investment in your long term dental health.    

Supriya Verma, DMD, FAGD
New York Dentist

Veneers vs braces

From your photos and considering your young age, I would definitely recommend you to consider orthodontic treatment, not veneers or crowns.  These days, metal braces are about obsolete, you can have tooth-colored braces, even the wires are white!  I believe you will be very happy with the result and will have your natural teeth which have the potential to last you the rest of your life.  Please seek consult with a good orthodontist.  Good luck.

Dr Le

Veneers?

Thanks for the many views of your smile. I encourage you not to do veneers at this point. Get an orthodontic consultation first. I understand that you may not want to consider jaw surgery to fix your open bite. Orthodontics will make many changes in the p[osition of your teeth. This should improve the crowding and create a more harmonious smile. Braces will be less invasive and more cost effective in both the long and short term.