Realistically, after getting the gastric sleeve, how many pounds will be dropped by 4 weeks post surgery?

41 year old female, 5'4", 274lbs due the have the gastric sleeve performed in late October 2015.

Early Expected Weight Loss after Sleeve

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  Remember to make your surgeon's life easier and your surgery much safer by losing weight in the weeks leading up to your surgery with a low-calorie diet (protein shakes work well).  Now, what amount of weight you can expect to lose in the first four weeks after surgery?  In my opinion, with your current weight you can expect to lose between  1/2 a pound and 1 pound per day in the first month postop and can expect a weight loss of between 15-30 pounds during that period. Best of luck!

New York Bariatric Surgeon

Traditionally, sleeve patients lose 20 to 30 pounds the first month after surgery.

Traditionally, sleeve patients lose 20 to 30 pounds the first month after surgery.  There after, weight loss is about 8 to 12 pounds per month.  Factors that influence the weight loss are gender, age, BMI, level of activity, eating habits.  

Wiljon W. Beltre, MD
Altamonte Springs Bariatric Surgeon

15 to 25 pounds per month

I see on average about 50 patients a months for the last 20+ years and historically I've see patients loose anywhere from 15 to 25 pounds per month. This is of course someone that is following a post bariatric surgery diet. 

Lots of Luck :)

Sergio Verboonen, MD
Mexico Bariatric Surgeon

20 pounds or nothing

I have seen patients lose nothing after four weeks because they drink lots of sugar and take in milkshakes. It does depend on what you eat and drink. 

Twenty pounds is pretty good - probably the high end- but the real issue is that you have to change what you eat, not just how much. 

Good luck

Terry Simpson, MD, FACS
Scottsdale Bariatric Surgeon

Depends

Hello, normally, it will depend of how big you are in the momment of the surgery. normally you can lose between 15 to 30 pounds, then 10 to 15 second month, up to 10 pounds 3th month, an will lose like 1 to 4 per week. the last 20 to 30 pounds to the goal are the mosto difficult to reach.
The trust is higher BMI more pounds  you drop the first 3 to 6 month.

Pablo Garcia, MD
Dominican Republic Bariatric Surgeon