How much lift can I expect from a botox brow lift?

I am 20 years old and would love a brow lift. I've read a lot of reviews from doctors that say someone so young should refrain from a surgical brow lift due to scarring. I know botox is the best option for someone my age, but I am concerned it won't give me enough of a lift. How much change can I expect from the botox?

Botox Browlift - How high can you go?

How much lift you can expect depends upon your own anatomy, depressor muscle strength, where the Botox is injected and how much you use.

You don't want to overdo it or you'll look like Dr. Spock - not particularly attractive on anyone.  Start slow - you may be surprised to discover a tiny lift makes a pretty big change.

La Jolla Ophthalmologist

Botox brow lift as a possible alternative to surgery

Botox, or similar treatments Xeomin and Dysport, relax the muscles that contribute to wrinkles. Certain applications of these treatments can help elevate the brows by preferentially relaxing the facial muscles that pull down the eyebrow. The lift results are temporary and likely more subtle, as compared to surgery. For younger patients like yourself, plastic surgeons generally avoid brow lift surgery. You can try Botox and see how you like it. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a cosmetic surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. 

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chemical Browlift can be achieved with Botox!

We certainly see brow elevation when treating the glabella with Botox, but it is usually just a few mm of elevation. For some people with a very slight brow droop (ptosis), it works great. For those with severe ptosis, surgery is necessary. If you are only 20 years old, chances are that you just need a mild lift, and Botox may work well for you. The best option is to consult with a physician and get their opinion.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox brow lifting

Thank you for your question. Shaping the brows is one my favorite parts of using Botox. It requires a very detailed understanding of the underlying anatomy as well as assessing each individual while they are animating their brows. By carefully placing Botox in the muscles that depress the brow, you can cause the brow to rest and relax in a lifted position. There are limits to how much you can lift, and for some surgery is better option. Incorrect assessment or placement can also lead to the reverse effect, so overall technique is critical. You can also shape the brow different. For example, you can raise the tail of the brow vs creating a raised arched brow vs creating a raised horizontal brow. It depends on the individual's desired brow aesthetic goals. I would consider this a very advanced technique so I would query your injector on their experience in this area.
As far as how many units may be needed, this also depends on which part of the brow you want to correct. For the inner brows, you may consider ~20 units (same as the frown line treatment). For the middle or outer brow, I generally use up to 5 units on each side.
You may also want to consider adding fillers to shape and raise the brow. Combining the two products can work synergistically together.

Botox

The best way to determine what is best for you is to see a physician in person. You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

How Much Lift Can You Expect from a Brow Lift?

Aloha Rachel, 

You can expect to get about a 1-2mm lift with Botox®.

You may want to consider two additional options:

1. A liquid facelift with fillers like Juvederm®. Focusing on the temple and brow will give you an immediate brow lift and you can easily adjust the amount of lift you desire. You might also consider adding platelet rich plasma (PRP) therapy to help regenerate your own tissue. We administer this service as the Vampire Facelift®. 

2. You could also do a round of skin tightening treatments to tighten the skin above the brow and lift it. We use Venus Freeze® primarily for this kind of treatment. 

Remember, you are 20 years-young and beautiful and need only a little lift and enhancement!

Be happy and take good care, 

Dr. Yeo

Choon Kia Yeo, MD
Honolulu General Surgeon

Chemical Brow Lift

A "botox brow lift" is more formally known as a "chemical brow lift".  The corrugator and procerus muscles depress the brow; on the other hand, the frontalis muscle elevates the brow.  By relaxing the corrugator and procerus muscles with a neuromodulator such as Botox or Dysport, there will be unopposed frontalis activity, resulting in a small degree of brow elevation (brow lift).  Please note that a chemical browlift is temporary (like Botox) and I do not believe the results can be compared to a more formal, surgical browlift.  Nevertheless, it is a relatively safe, non-invasive way to get started.  I hope this is helpful.  Regards, Anand G. Shah, MD.

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Brow Lift

At twenty years old you are likely not suffering from brow ptosis (drop) due to aging or skin damage.  Your skin tone is likely quite good and if you are interested in seeing what you would look like with a bit of brow elevation at the sides, you can expect a couple of millimeters of elevation.  The elevation is usually subtle in patients with more advanced changes to the brow but at your age the change may be more dramatic. 

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox brow lift

Although the lift that you get is usually only a few mm, most patients find that this is enough to get excited about. I discuss this with my patients conservatively , telling them that the change is minimal. However, they keep coming back for the lift so I think that it makes a difference to them. The only way to know is to try. Not much to lose as will wear off in about three months if you don't  like it. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Botox and Brow Lift

Botox is a fabulous injection and can give a natural and subtle brow lift for your face. When the Botox is injected into the glabella and tail of the brow you can achieve a natural looking lift. You are too young for a surgical intervention.  For the best cosmetic result please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with Botox.