Mid Face lift & Malar Fat Pads?

How does a mid face lift address the Malar fat pads in cheek. If at all.

What is a mid cheek lift and why have one.

The
mid cheek is the area of the cheek
under the eyes, between here and the upper lip. It is a most visible and
important part of the face and when just right gives a positive healthy, attractive and youthful  look to the face. Just think of the actress, Cate Blanchett. Unfortunately,
some people, usually for hereditary reasons, do not have a well developed bone
structure of their mid cheek. This automatically limits their attractiveness and predisposes the person to the tired look associated with premature aging.
The fat layer under the skin here is called the malar fat pad and is thicker than elsewhere. If not projected forward
by good bone structure the fat pad soft tissue, tends to sag; at least it looks
that way. A mid face lift is performed through
the lower eyelid, which is usually involved in the premature aging, forming lid
bags. The lower lid aging  is corrected as part of the cheek correction below. The direction of
lift of a mid cheek lift is purely vertical, so the benefit is localised
to the mid cheek and it does not benefit below and to the side. In my experience
this procedure is indicated for people who have most of their aging in this
important area, and the deficiency of bone structure is corrected at the same
time by using a cheek implant. Although
factory made, synthetic implants of silicone and porex are most often used and
are very good, but my preferred implant material is coral, which is naturally
occurring. I have used this in the mid cheek correction of over 600 patients because of  its favourable biology and the flexibility to individualise the result.The coral used is microstructurally identical to
facial bone and  purified to become hydroxyapatite, the mineral of bone. The
coral comes as small granules, which the surgeon places on the surface of the
deficient bone and moulds it to the desired shape for the individual persons
face. Obviously the shape is different for women and men and has to
aesthetically balance with the other facial features. Over time the persons own
bone grows into the coral implant so there is not any concern about any
problems of infection or rejection in the long termas there can be with silicone. So
if someone has that bone deficiency a permanent correction is obtained . However,
more often the midface deficiency is part of overall facial aging. With the
advances in facelift surgery, it is now possible to add a good midface lift with
the facelift so the whole face is refreshed. The cheek implant augmentation can
also be performed through the facelift and surgery on the lower lid not required.
This has the advantage of avoiding the slower healing associated with full
lower lid surgery. The vector of tightening of the facelift on the mid cheek is
up and also out. You can see the benefit of this direction of lift when pulling
your cheek in this direction as you look in a mirror. This direction optimises the ‘lift’ over the cheek
implant and has most benefit on the laxity of the malar fat pad.

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Cheek implants for flat maxilla and atrophic malar fat pads

In our practice, we do not perform a mid face lift because the midface does not descend downward with the aging process. The mid face ages by volume loss over the maxilla and cheek pads. For that reason, we prefer placement of small Silastic cheek implants to the maxilla to give added volume replacement. Cheek implants are manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes, are inserted through an intraoral approach under a brief general anesthetic and give a permanent augmentation to the cheek area. For many examples  and more information, please see the link and video below

Mid Facelift and Malar Fat Pads

During a mid facelift the malar fat pads might be repositioned, and or fat might be added through fat grafting. For the right candidate, a mid facelift can provide a beautiful result that can restore a youthful freshness.  Look at many, many before and after photos when considering a surgeon.  It may be helpful for both you and your surgeon to provide photos from your youth to examine the aging changes and what bothers you together. Then, your surgeon can design a surgical plan based on your goals. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

#Midfacelift treatment of #malarfatpads

A midface lift will address your mid-face volume and dropping that occurs with aging. It is best to discuss this in consultation with a plastic surgeon to determine whether this procedure will give you the results you are looking for. 

Surgeons can be qualified for a variety of reasons,
  • Board Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgeons
  • not ..... Board of Cosmetic surgeons
  • member of ASAPS
  • years of experience
  • referral from a friend who is happy

Midface lift?

Thank you for your question.  A mid face lift elevates cheek volume that has fallen.  However, with age we also lose facial volume that can be at least partially restored with fat grafting or fillers. I would recommend consultation with a facial plastic surgeon to discuss what option is best for you.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Midfacelift

Malar fat pads can get removed  at the time of any facelift, either by direct excision or by liposuction.  Personally, I think a mid facelift ft adds only expense to a well done full facelift.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Midface lift

The midface can be lifted through various approaches, including via a traditional facelift or via lower eyelid incision and a temporal incision.  The facelift approach uses SMAS tissue plication or a flap to raise the midface.  The lower eyelid incision can use a pre or subperiosteal approach.  Both can have nice results; however, there have been more issues with the lower eyelid approach causing lower eyelid deformities to ask about this if this is the approach your surgeon recommends. 

Mid Face lift & Malar Fat Pads?

Hi, I have performed many facelifts over the past 27 years and IMHO, the mid-face facelift pulls the tiisues of the face, including the fatty tissues up and to the outsides of the cheeks which broadens the face.  It can also raise the corners of the eyebrows and lips in a non-aesthetic manner.  For that reason, I do not use that facelift technique.

If you have "jowls" this is sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a facelift, not Cheek Augmentation. I have performed many Cheek Augmentations over the past 25 years and the notion that Cheek Implants or dermal fillers to the cheeks will lift tissues is an urban myth. Filler to the cheeks or cheek implants will not lift up the jowls. The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured. The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

•very small incisions
•minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
•can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
•no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
•excess fat can be removed
•excess skin removed
•cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Perlane) or facial implants
•most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
Hope this helps.

Mid-face lift and malar fat pads

Thank you for asking about your mid-face lift.

There are various ways of doing a mid-face lift.
A common approach is to raise the tissues off the cheeks and suture them higher.
This takes the malar fat pad higher.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes

Mid face lift and Malar fat pads

A transtemporal midface lift gives a subtle lift to the deep and superficial Malar day pads.  This is not super impressive or long lasting but the incisions are hidden.  The more impressive long-lasting and durable is the extended modified keep playi long-lasting and durable is the expanded modified deep plane cheek or face lift.  This can be done on old or young patients under local anesthesia but very few people in the world do it fully 

Ben Talei, MD