Time needed to confirm IPL beard facial hair loss isn't permanent?

I am 46 year old male, light skin & black hair. I had 2 IPL treatments, 2 weeks apart for skin spots & freakles. My physician advised me there would be temporary hair loss in the beard area. He said the setting on the machine was not strong enough for permanent removal. It has been 4 weeks now and my beard area is still very patchy with no sign of regrowth in the treated areas. How long does it take to confirm the hair loss isn't permanent?

IPL 2 weeks apart

It is a little unusual to perform an IPL  with only 2 weeks between treatments. It is very possible that the laser has killed off some of your hair follicles.  You should have a better idea how much hair was treated in the next few weeks.  I suggest you return to the clinic that performed this service for followup care. 

Wisconsin Internist

IPL

Thank you for your question in regards to IPL. Hair follicles grow in different phases and permanent hair reduction will take place with several treatments every six weeks. It may take a few months for your hair to regrow in those areas. To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

IPL can remove hair permentantly

Even though the wavelength is different for IPL and Hair Removal it is very possible that IPL can permanently remove your beard hair.  If your beard is growing in patchy that is a sign of permanent removal.  We always advise to only treat the cheeks, nose and forhead if you are a male. 

IPL and Hair loss

IPL can remove hair permanently.  I would follow up with the the treatment provider who preformed the service and ask for advice.

IPL and Hair Loss

The hair loss should return in 3 months, if it doesn't then you may have gotten a permanent reduction.  Best, Dr. Emer.