Do I need to stop using tretinoin before my hydrafacial treatment?

I have been getting chemical peels (Jessner's and VI peel), and I have discontinued tretinoin two weeks before the peels to play it safe. Do I need to do this before I get a hydrafacial, as well?

Yes,

Technically, tretinoin should be temporary stopped 2 weeks before a HydraFacial procedure because the treatment includes a Glycolic/Salicyclic peel.  However, some skin types can safely tolerate the HydraFacial despite the continued use of tretinoin. 

Stop a few days before

I have been getting chemical peels (Jessner's and VI peel), and I have discontinued tretinoin two weeks before the peels to play it safe. Do I need to do this before I get a hydrafacial, as well? I prefer patient's to stop tretinoin creams a few days (7-10 days for sensitive skin patients) prior to any facial treatment to avoid exaggerated response to the treatment. That being said patients who have little acute response to tretinoin cream have HydraFacial treatments without interruption of their scheduled tretinoin cream useage.

Recommended to stop Tretinoin

It is recommended that you discontinue your Tretinoin (retin-a) at least 48 hours before your HydraFacial treatment. During the hydrafacial, glycolic acid is used on the skin which can cause irritation if you have been using Tretinoin.

Barbara Bopp, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon