How soon after a breast reduction can you shower?

Showers after breast reduction

I usually let my patients shower 48 hours after surgery, although the timeline also depends on whether there are any surgical drains.  That being said, every surgeon has their own protocol and will know what is best for the surgery they just performed.  You should call your surgeon's office and find out what their recommendations are on this topic. Patients often worry about "bothering" their plastic surgeons with questions, but that's what we are there for: to make sure all of your questions are answered and to help ensure the smoothest recovery possible!

Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction/Breast lift / Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Showering after breast reduction

Thank you for your question. All surgeons have their own protocol when it comes to showering after surgery. Physiologically, the incisions will be water proof at about 36 hours. I typically allow my patients to shower beginning on post operative day number 2 or about 48 hours.  Showering with soap and water (removing the dressings first!!) and patting dry with a towel will not only make you feel better, but reduces risk of infection. I typically use steri strips along the incisions. These steri strips will stick to you during the shower and I usually remove that which have not come off already at the first post op visit at 7-10 days. 

Showering after a Breast Reduction Surgery

I will first state that you should listen to and follow your plastic surgeon's instructions regarding when to shower. How soon you can get your breasts wet can depend on how your incisions were sutured (stitched) together, and whether any surgical glue, steri strips, or other dressings were applied.   I use a couple of layers of dissolving sutures under the skin, and I seal the skin incisions with a topical glue called Dermabond, which peels off in a few weeks.  With Dermabond, a patient could shower the following day.   However, I have my patients wait a couple of days until I have seen them in our clinic first before having them shower.    For the first couple of days after surgery, my patients can sponge bathe or soak in a tub with water just up to their waist.

Again, check with your doctor's office first for instructions.

Best Wishes!