Schnur Scale for Breast Reduction?

According to the Schnur Scale, I would need to take out between 404-441 grams in each breast to be considered medically needed. Does anyone know would size that would take me down to? I'm currently 5'4" and 155 lbs

Schnur Sliding Scale for Breast Reduction Surgery

Based on your height of 5'4" and weight of 155 lbs, your Body Surface Area (BSA) is 1.80 m2.  Using the Schnur Sliding Scale (SSS) as you have done, you are correct in that you would need to have a minimum of 441 grams of tissue removed from each breast.   However, without your photos, current bra size and measurements, one cannot give you an evaluation as to what your size would be after surgery.   It would be best to have a plastic surgeon who is actually examining and measuring your breasts give you that answer.   

In general, a woman who has a wider chest needs to have more tissue removed to get down to the next cup size when compared with a woman who has a narrower chest who would need to have less tissue removed to get down to the next cup size.   And so, 441 grams removed from a woman with a wide chest could only get her down one or two cup sizes; whereas, with a narrower chest woman, this could get her down three or four cup sizes.

Best Wishes!

Size

I would need to know your cup size and measurements.  

I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Best wishes!

Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Breast volume

Breast volume does not correlate exactly with cup volumes. Hard to say without an exam.  Best of luck.

Schnur Scale

It would be nice if the insurance companies used this scale -- but they don't and they wont tell you what they base their reimbursement on. They just want you to pay for the insurance and not reimburse you for surgery. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Breast reductions and insurance

Breast reductions may be approved by insurance companies if they met the individual companies policy on medical necessity.  Symptoms related to mammary hypertrophy with specialist documentation of long term conservative therapy are usually necessary.  Photos and estimated amounts are submitted to the insurance for pre certification.  Most insurance companies want more than 500 grams then possibly apply the Schnur scale.  

Schnur scale

There are multiple versions of the scale but no insurance carrier in NY will approve and pay for a 400-450 gram resection anymore. Breast reductions are subject to post op review; if the surgical pathology does not indicate that a larger amount of tissue has been removed, the case will be denied after the fact.