I am scheduled for BA with lift tomorrow. I have chest congestion and cough. Can I go through surgery?

I had to reschedule my surgery twice due to other medical reasons. Finally I went through treatment, got clearance and ready to go. 2 days ago I woke up with scratchy throat and chest pain. Should I reschedule again? Mucinex really helps. Called my doctor and explained the situation. He said that that it is up to me to have it done or reschedule. What are the risks? Can I still get it done and control my cough with Mucinex Postop?

Cpugh

In my opinion there is no way that you should have a breast augmentation with " chest congestion". i am sure that the anesthesia provider will not want to do the case. If you have a cough and your surgeon is planning a submuscular augment; can you imagine the discomfort that you will have when coughing.

Weston Plastic Surgeon

Sick Before Surgery

It's never ideal to go through surgery when you are sick. Your body is fighting a cold, which can make your recovery a little more difficult, especially with a cough and chest congestion. Your body needs all of it's energy to recover from surgery.  Your health and safety is a priority and you want your recovery to be the easiest possible. I would personally recommend rescheduling. 

Ill Before surgery ?

It is always best to approach your surgery in good health. When in doubt about a patient with a cold I have them come in to be looked at. Perhaps you could arrange this with your PS?. Safety must come first.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Safety - surgery

although, it is totally understandable that you would like to go ahead with your surgery after having rescheduled twice already. But your safety should be highest priority, even if it means you will need to postpone again. You should see/discuss this with your surgeon and anesthesiologist.

Hope this helps

Bianca Knoll, MD
Frankfurt Plastic Surgeon

Unless it is very minor congestion and a minor cough I would be concerned about proceeding with breast augmentation surgery and placement of a breast implant. This would be especially true if you have any fever or purulent drainage.  As inconvenient as it may be it is probably in your best interest to delay the surgery until you are perfectly well and in good health.  You should expect a call from the anesthetist who can help you make a decision tonight.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast augmentation and sick

If you have a productive cough, you should speak to your surgeon, It is likely that they will have to reschedule you surgery. Good luck.

Elective surgery like aesthetic surgery should always be done in perfect health..

I believe is best to do surgery on the best health conditions. Even a little flu can be the tip of an iceberg and get a lot worst after surgery plus a post op recovery. I would not indicate surgery on you. Hope you get well soon!!! regards..

Ricardo Ventura, MD

Safety first

Hello and thank you for your question. I always ask my patients to come in to be evaluated by both myself and my anesthesiologist.  There needs to be a team approach to ensure your safety and health in the operating room.  Cases can easily be rescheduled.  Its not worth the risk.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Scratchy throat

Thanks for your inquiry, it is a decision you need to make with your surgeon, sorry for all your struggles and good luck.