There is an intermittent dull pain around my Dental Implant incision after wearing partial retainer is this an issue? (photo)

Tooth #8 extraction and implant occurred on the same day (7/6/2016). Healing seemed to be going okay, but when I followed up with my surgeon on 10/24/16 he said that bone growth was immature. He suggested that I wait another 3 months before uncovering and take a daily vitamin D supplement. Is this normal. I used to smoke weed, but I have since stopped. Is my implant in early failure? There is currently no swelling, puss or redness. I didn't have this issue with an implant on tooth #9 4 years ago

Dental Implant Post Op

Smoking (weed) can affect bone formation. While this is a proven factor, I would suggest that you follow your surgeon's instructions and allow additional time for bone maturation, especially if there is no evidence of infection. 

Implant healing

Sometimes the bone does not quite grow around the implant as fast as we would like. I am glad you are not having any pain. Usually, the increased time is good for the implant to fully heal around the bone. This is not out of the ordinary in my experience.

Joseph H. Hidalgo, DDS
Plano Dentist

Implant, pain

Hi:

Without X-rays it is difficult to correctly assess the healing of your implants.  However, it is not abnormal to wait up to six months for upper implants to fully integrate with the bone.

Dr. Maddahi

Kourosh Maddahi, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist

Pain with dental implant

Pain can certainly be a sign of possible inflammatory or infection- or possibly irritation from you retainer. Best to have your dentist check the fit of the retainer or do not wear it for a couple of days and see if the discomfort resolves. Close follow up with oral surgeon and repeated X-ray to assess bone quality and healing is a good idea.

H. Ryan Kazemi, DMD
Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon