Should Bromelain be taken before and right after Facial Surgery?

That's a very old post surgical supplement not really used anymore.  I find Arnica 12C far more of an effective post surgical supplement.  Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts on women in their late twenties and early thirties.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

If the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions and no incisions extend or are placed within the hair.
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Should Bromelain be taken before and right after Facial Surgery

I suggest to my patients beginning supplements such as  bromelain or arnica a week or two before their procedure(s). However, its best to consult with your board-certified Plastic Surgeon beforehand. She or he will make suggestions according to your procedure and medical records in addition to discussing your pre-op preparations. Also, such may be provided for you with your pre-op material and prescriptions in time for your recovery period. You will learn more about preparing at your pre-op appointment. 

What to do before and after facial surgery?

Thanks for your question.  I use both arnica and eating fresh pineapple to help with bruising and swelling.  It works quite well in combination for my patients. It won't hurt, so give it a try.  I hope this helps you.  Best of luck.

No indication for bromelain prior to anticipated facial surgery.

There is no real scientific evidence that bromelain has any benefit in convalescence after surgery. Nevertheless if your surgeon believes in it follow his advice.

Bromelain and Facial Surgery

Dear EnaidS,

Bromelain is effective despite how it has been around.  Bromelian aids in reduction of swelling. It is what is found in pineapple juice.  Arnica and bromeliad are not interchangeable.  Arnica reduces bruising.  It is certainly okay to take both of these prior and after surgery BUT it always wise to get your operating plastic surgeon's opinion on the matter.  Best wishes.

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS. FACS

bromelain before and after facial surgery

In our practice, we do not  recommend Bromelain or Arnica for facial cosmetic surgery.  Taking these additional supplements just confuses patients even more so with the correct postoperative surgery regimen which usually includes antibiotics, pain medication, antinausea pills in addition to the patient's regular prescription medications.  It is more important to choose your surgeon to give you a great result,  than worry about a homeopathic medication with questionable results

That's a very old post surgical supplement not really used anymore.  The supplements and medications you take should be discussed with your surgeon.  Your surgeon and the anesthesia department will be able to answer this question based on your medical history.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD