When getting lab work done for a BBL, does it have to be done within a certain amount of time before your surgery?

I was told today I could book my blood work for my surgery on the 19th of January however my surgery date is feb-2 is it safe for me to get my blood work done that far from my surgery ? Can't things change with in that time frame?

Blood work 2 weeks prior to surgery is the standard time.

AAAASF guidelines and most hospital anesthesia guidelines specify blood work and pre-operative physicals be done within two weeks prior to surgery, not one month. It is certainly reasonable to assume that young healthy people undergoing elective surgery are expected to have no health or physical issues that could result in surgery/anesthesia problems. And no blood work is usually required in young healthy patients undergoing certain types of elective plastic surgery.

Big cases, procedures where there is a bit more blood loss in menstrual-age women who might be naturally anemic, or cases in older and less generally-healthy patients may mandate certain blood tests, ECG, or X-ray studies (in smokers, for example) to maximize finding any potential problems before surgery and anesthesia.

Yes, your health COULD change within two weeks, but there is a balance between safety and timeliness. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

That's something that may vary depending on how your preferred surgeon likes to proceed and the clinic policies. 
I request my patients to have labs done by their primary doctor a month prior to surgery, just to acknowledge their health in general and in case some improvement needed; and I also have them have them getting lab work few days before surgery, or the day before sometimes, but second testing is not always necessary. Like I said that's just a particular way to proceed. But it's great that you have lab work couple weeks before your surgery because that way your surgeon will have time to take care of something that may come up. if necessary.  

Yily De Los Santos, MD

Different hospitals and outpatient facilities have different guidelines for when bloodwork is valid prior to surgery.  It is best to check with the facility where you will be having your procedure.  

Josef Hadeed, MD, FACS

I appreciate your question.

Different physicians and different surgery centers have different requirements regarding pre op lab work.  I request my patients to have labs done by their primary doctor a month prior to surgery.  Best to discuss with your surgeon if you have any concerns.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr Schwartz

Lab work prior to surgery

Different physicians and different surgery centers have different rules regarding pre op lab work. Generally, blood tests need to be done within a week or two prior to the actual date of surgery. However, you would need to check with your surgeon to see what his or her specific requirements are!

Neal Handel, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Lab work results

I always request lab work results one month prior surgery because that give me the great opportunity to evaluate way in advance the condition of my patient and determine if he/she is in perfect condition to have surgery.
In a month nothing will change unless you get ill.
So what what you was requested is perfect time.
Dr. Cardenas

Blood work before surgery.

First, the American Society of anesthesiologist recommends no blood work for healthy patients younger than 60 years of age with no medical problems. This means that blood work, will not provide any significant information relevant for your surgery.
If you have medical problems, then your surgeon should ask your primary care provider for a clearance for surgery. As a general rule,  any preoperative should be done within 30 days of the date of surgery.
In my practice, I always tell the healthy patients that there is no need for preoperative testing, but if they want to be sure everything is ok, to talk to their primary care for a preoperative clearance, usually a EKG, Chest X-Ray, CBC and basic Chem Profile will be done.
I would be suspicious of the reasons to order preoperative work for healthy patients, specially if these are done in the office/surgery center associated with your surgeon.

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon