Voluma for hollow cheeks? (Photo)

I recently lost about 10 lbs. and you can see where my face has gotten thin (I'm small frame) I can tell a big difference between now and 2 years ago. Can you use Voluma for loss of facial fat volume? I went to a dr. today who said if he used Voluma, it would cause lumps. He said it really needs to be used in the cheekbone area, not the cheek hollows. Is that true, and if so, what can you use for hollow cheeks?

Voluma for Hollow Cheeks?

Voluma is a great filler to help restore volume to the mid-face or cheekbone area.  It is not ideal for the hollows of the cheeks, because it can lump up easily in this area.  For this area the better product choice would be Sculptra.  Sculptra would require multiple sessions to build up a full effect, but tends to last up to two years.  I frequently use a combination of injectables on my patients to achieve the best result.

Voluma, mid-face, fat loss, fat

Voluma is great for restoring mid-face and cheek volume. It is injected deeper than the typical fillers (right over the zygomatic or cheek bone) so less chance of lumpiness. In the cheek hollows we do tend to inject a little bit more superficial and one has to be careful to avoid too superficial an injection which can lead to lumpiness. We usually use a fanning technique here as opposed to a bolus method particularly in the cheek hollow region. Hope this helps.

Shaun C. Desai, MD
Bethesda Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Fat Loss -- Sculptra, Fat, Voulma/Lyft/Radiesse

you can use a combination of filers or fat and get a great result. This is the majority of my practice.  I am unsure why you were told you would get lumps from a filler that is designed to improve the mid face/cheeks.  I suggest you only go to an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Voluma for hollow cheeks?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Based on your pictures it looks as if you would do well with Voluma to help restore volume and support to your mid face/cheek region.  Voluma will help give you the appearance of a heart-shaped face, while improving the appearance of your laugh lines and under eye region.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon for your injections.  

Voluma for hollow cheeks?

From your photos and history of weight loss, I believe you would be a very good candidate for Voluma injections.  The filler can be used over the zygomatic arch, pre malar eminence, and sub-malar fat pad (cheek hollows).  For best result you may require 2 ccs or more of the Voluma over each cheek area.  Although any filler, including fat injections, can potentially result in a lumpy area, Voluma usually gives excellent results in this area and I have personally witnessed a high degree of satisfaction among patients who have their cheek hollows treated with Voluma.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Loss of facial fat/volume

It appears you have overall facial lipoatrophy (loss of fat) which has given you that hollow/sunken appearance. I would suggest a combination of treatments for your best results. Sculptra would be a very nice treatment to address the sunken cheeks and temples. This product is a volumizer which induces your skin to produce more of its own collagen. This works well for the sunken cheeks since this area usually requires a large volume of filler to be beneficial. Sculptra works over time and requires 3 treatments for best results.  Voluma would work well for your upper lateral cheeks and would give an immediate result. I would recommend some filler around your mouth area as well to replace lost volume in this area as well.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon experienced in aesthetic injectables. Best wishes.

Kristin Baird, MD
Longmont Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma for hollow cheeks?

Voluma should work well for you. If the product causes bumps that is an issue with the technique not the product. You might also benefit from filler in the undereye area such as Restylane or Belotero but Voluma is a great place to start and likely will create some improvement in the tear trough area. Good luck!

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma for cheek hollows

Yes, voluma is great for what you have. However, there are lots of other options as well. It all depends on the skill of the injector, how much you want to spend and how long you want the results to last. 

On evaluation of your photos, you would be a great candidate to start with a filler such as Radiesse, then see how that looks, then add voluma to finish off the filler effects. 

Other options include facial fat transfer, which is a more permanent option that can also fill areas nicely. An in person consultation would be the first step and find someone who is well versed in all the options for you. 

Good luck 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Voluma for hollow cheeks?

Yes, you are a good candidate for Volume mid-facial volume restoration. One other consideration, however, is that if you are at a new normal weight, then you might consider permanent mid-facial volume replenishment with a stem cell rich fat transfer. Good luck!

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Voluma can be used for hollow cheeks

Voluma can be used to improve your hollow cheeks.  If used properly, it can first lift your cheeks by injecting it over the cheekbones, then, Voluma or Juvederm can be fanned into the skin below the cheek bones to improve the hollows.  Where I practice in a Orange County, I thin out the product first to avoid potential bumps when treating the lower cheek area.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon