Best Approach for Downsizing Breast Implants? (photo)

I have 700cc subpectoral mod+ silicone. Periareolar incision. Flat chested preop, no asymmetry. I have mild symmastia & bottoming out.I want smaller implants about 350-400cc. Best approach to accomplish a great result? A staged procedure of removing implants with symmastia/bottoming out repair, then re-implanting after 6-12 months? I am 24, 5"5 and 110 lbs, no kids and don't want a lift. Skin is in great shape. Hoping it would shrink up nicely if explanting then reimplanting later.

Breast implant reduction in size

I agree with the other posts and your remarks that a staged approach is best. I think you have a 50% chance of needing a lift so keep that in mind. Overall, think you will be happier in the long run with a smaller more proportional size for your frame. Good Luck!

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing

There may be some benefit in doing this in two stages.  However, staying without implants for 4-6 months is usually not acceptable to  most patients.  I think a good result can be achieved in one stage where the implant is placed in a new pocket between your anterior capsule and the muscle. This will result in correcting your symmastia while at the same time closing the space from your previous implant.  

On another note, the use of a 700 cc moderate plus implant was way too wide for your dimensions.  With that volume a high profile implant should have been used.

Ary Krau, MD, FACS

There is no absolute "best way" to manage your situation, in my opinion, because nobody can predict with certainty the outcome of a given procedure or series of procedures.  My approach would be to explant, perform bilateral capsulorrhaphies diminishing the size of submuscular pocket and adjusting position to accommodate your new size.  Depending on skin thickness, may supplement with acellular dermal matrix or fat grafting, but if highly cohesive gel implant is selected, unlikely this will be necessary (opinion subject to findings on examination). No reason to anticipate you would need breast lift (my opinion), and no reason for "symmastia and bottoming out repair" if you plan two stages.  If the exchange is carefully planned and skillfully executed and still doesn't work out, you may need revision, but this could happen even if two stages are planned from the beginning.  

Steve Laverson, MD

Breast implant revision

This is a tough situation because removing the implants and say exchanging for those 1/2 the size may require a lift to deal with the loose skin. If you remove the implants, then you will have to wait several months to have new ones placed, and there is no guarantee how the breasts will look when the implants are removed other than that they will be deflated. But they may also scar down.

Breast Revision to Include Smaller Implants

It is definitely possible to #downsize to smaller implants and also alter the positioning; if possible. However, decreasing is size may also require a Breast #Lift to to #tighten loose skin, better optimize the end result. Any #revision has risks of unhappy outcome or other complications. #BreastAugmentation without a #BreastLift is usually a mistake looked back on by many patients. Most breasts will look larger and more droopy.They will sag more and sooner because of the excess weight altering the longevity of the results. The shape will usually not be satisfactory and sometimes results with “Snoopy” breast or double bubble. .A #mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breasts without reducing their size. It is the most suitable for #breasts which sag or droop (ptosis) as a result of development, aging, pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss . Some patients will experience better results to restore superior fullness if an #implant is used at the time of mastopexy; better known as #AugmentationMastopexy.
With both implant types there are choices when it comes to size, shape, and profile. The criteria best to suit you will be discussed in full detail at your breast augmentation consultation. Also, the right implant for the revision is contingent on shape of body and your desired outcome.
Altogether, the surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the nipple and areolae of the desired size and correct heightmay also be addressed. I prefer to use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.The best method and #technique for your #procedures will be discussed in greater length during your one-on-one consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Revision

Downsizing with pocket tightening and possible breast lift will be required to make your breasts smaller and less hanging as well. This may require more than one procedure. 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Mini Ultimate Breast Lift and removal of implants

The best approach for you would be Mini Ultimate Breast Lift and removal of implants.  At surgery your breast tissue is reshaped and displaced medially and elevated to create the cleavage and the upper pole fullness you desire.  This could be done in 1 procedure or 2 if you would rather stage the procedures.  The advantage of doing 2 procedures would be that with the implants removed, your skin will shrink and regain it's tone.  In the 2nd surgery, less skin would need to be resected to create the desired shape and the Mini Ultimate Breast Lift performed.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

The degree of skin/tissue resiliency/contraction that will occur intraop is the main variable.

Thus, it may be sensible to allow your surgeon to make the choice between one or 2 stages at that time. Without any question, the use of Strattice is an important adjunct, but I would place it only during the same operation in which the new implants are to be placed. The use of that product makes the choice of pocket location less critical.

Todd Sisto, MD
Ocala Plastic Surgeon

Staging of Breast Implant Revision

Hi there-

If your priority in pursuing revision of your outcome is to avoid a breast lift, I think that the stages approach you describe MAY help, by allowing your skin time to contract after removal of the large implants currently in place.

On the other hand, it is important for you to understand that i tis possible that even with this approach, a lift will be necessary to achieve your goals of a youthful and firm breast, as 700cc implants are very large and your skin has been stretched by them to a significant degree.

Best Approach for Downsizing Breast Implants?

I would replace the smaller implants in a subfascial pocket and use ACD or mesh to support the glandular tissue

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon