How long does bruising and swelling last after using Voluma? (Photo)

I got voluma filler injected into my upper cheeks yesterday. I got bruised and swelling is increasing to reach my eyelid. I am icing all the time and trying to put raw potato.plz tell me if things r ok? For how long I may experience this and what to do to recover fast. I need to go back to work and don't know what to tell them when they ask me.

Bruising after Voluma injection

Sorry you bruised.
It will take 2 - 3 weeks for bruising to subside.
You can wear make-up.
You can say something like you had all allergic reaction.
Have the doctor check you - the swelling may also be Voluma that moved out of place.
This may need to be dissolve with an enzyme injection. Best wishes.

Swelling and bruising after Voluma

Thank you for the photo. Some folks will bruise with placement of Voluma. This is especially true of patients who have consumed aspirin, ibuprofen, St. John's wart, gingko, Vit. E, and/or a host of other things known to promote bruising. Our office likes arnica, (an herbal supplement), to decrease the bruising. We also note that ice and elevation of the head at 30 degrees tends to help.  Please tell your experienced injector your concerns.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Swelling and Bruising After Voluma Injections: Ice can help.

Swelling and bruising after any injection, including Voluma is normal. Swelling and bruising can be decreased by holding any medications that can promote bruising like aspirin or ibuprofen for a week before the injections, proper injection technique with limited punctures to the cheek region, as well as ice packs to the cheeks for the first 2 days. Ice packs every 4 hours for 10 minutes can help decrease the swelling and bruising from Voluma injections.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Bruising and swelling after Voluma

Bruising and swelling after Voluma usually lasts less than a week.  In my cosmetic dermatology practice in Orange County, CA, I find that Voluma swells much less than other fillers.  Bruising is from the needle hitting blood vessels, which can happen with any filler.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

How long does bruising and swelling last after #Voluma treatment?

Unfortunately, bruising and swelling are the most common risks of any injectable treatment even in the most experienced hands. In the vast majority of cases, if the product is injected properly, problems like bruising and swelling will resolve within 1-2 weeks if not sooner. Icing, as you are doing, is very helpful. You should also sleep with your head elevated for the first three nights. Arnica and bromelain can also be very helpful. If you have any concerns, you should return to your physician injector to be evaluated. 

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after #Voluma

Most often, bruising can be avoided by careful planning of the injection points based on knowledge of facial anatomy, drawing back on the syringe after needle placement, use of blunt-tipped cannulas for injections, use of arnica, Biafine, vitamin K creams and cold compresses, and avoidance of medications or supplements that promote bleeding. If brusing occurs despite these precautions, laser can make it resolve quickly.

Please consult your physician and apply cold compresses intermittently for ten minutes at a time until your appointment.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Swelling and Bruising After Voluma

Bruising can unfortunately occur with any filler.  Injection technique can lower the likelihood of a bruise, but it is not possible for an experienced injector to not bruise any patients.  Management of a bruise may require use of antibruising gel pads, herbal medications such as Arnica, and use of lasers to expedite the bruising.

Swelling after Voluma can be a result of the following factors

-Deep bruise- Not all bruises are at the surface and this localized swelling can take weeks to dissipate

-Injection technique- Injections of the product can create depositions which can create lumps if not properly transitioned.  Since Voluma is not hydrophilic (does not tend to absorb water), Voluma tends to be a what you see is what you get type of filler.  

Consult your treating physician for the best course of action.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising and swelling usually lasts up to two weeks

Generally, bruising and swelling from Voluma last only a week or two. In the meantime, you can continue to ice the area, keep your head elevated, and use arnica for the bruising. You are also free to use makeup to cover the bruising if you are worried about people asking about it. If you are concerned, visit your injector for a follow-up.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruising - duration depends on how big the bruise is

Bruising happens when the needle disrupts a blood vessel.  The amount of bruising depends on how much blood accumulated in the skin.  A small bruise can go away in a few days, but a larger bruise can take 2+ weeks.  The area under the eye and the marionette areas are especially prone to bruising, unfortunately. 

There are some things that you can do to minimize bruising: 
1) Avoid aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oil for 1 week prior to procedure (Note: I don't ask patients who are on aspirin or blood thinners for a medical reason to stop their medication for fillers)
2) Avoid alcohol for 24 hours before/after the procedure
3) Avoid getting overheated with exercise/sauna/spicy food for 24 hours after the procedure
4) Take an anti-bruising medication - arnica, excipial, etc
5) Icing after the procedure
6) sleeping with your head elevated for a few days after the procedure

There are some things that I can do to minimize bruising:
1) where appropriate, I can use a cannula (blunt-tipped needle)
2) If I see bruising, I can immediately apply pressure - this helps to keep the bruise small
3) We can use light/laser to hasten the resolution of bruising

Bruising and swelling are unfortunately common side effects following any dermal filler injection.

Bruising and swelling are unfortunately common side effects following any dermal filler injection. The risks can be minimized by following proper protocol such as avoiding blood thinners beforehand, and by visiting a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with high levels of expertise and experience, but unfortunately there is no real way to 100% prevent it from happening. Generally, you can expect it to last anywhere from a few days for up to two weeks. It is always prudent to phone call your physician and make them aware of later onset swelling that continues to worsen.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon