If I already know my skin is too sensitive for lasers, peels, or retin-A is there anything that could ever improve my texture?

I over-exfoliate so much as a teen on top of having constant inflammation and acne that I did not treat properly. I now have scar-prone skin that looks dull and dehydrated no matter what I do. There is a ruddy texture around my jaw and very mild scarring everywhere. I'm really desperate for a solution but everyone recommends what I know for certain would only ruin my skin. I've tried Retinoids and it enlarged my pores and gave me severe redness for over a year. What else can I do? Accutane?

Improving texture

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are numerous treatment modalities available for scarring, but it is dependent upon the specific type of scarring that you have. Acne scarring can be characterized as rolling, ice-pick, box-car, atrophic, or a combination of these types. A board-certified dermatologist should be able to differentiate between these types and make appropriate recommendations. Conservative treatments that may be more tolerable for sensitive skin include microneedling, laser genesis, clear + brilliant. Another thing to keep in mind is that not all topical prescription retinoids are created the same - some are more gentle than others and the key is to titrate accordingly. Lastly, while Accutane is drying and certainly without side effects, it is a wonderful medicine, but this will not help with scarring. It is used to treat active acne. Good luck!

New Orleans Dermatologist