Is no occlusion on a crown problematic?

Have a new crown. Been having jaw pain and pain on that side after eating, all over top left side, while crown is on the bottom left. No pain when eating, although bite feels "off". Went for 2nd opinion, they say the pain is due to the fact that the crown has no occlusion and recommend it be redone. Dentist that did the work says that is ridiculous, that no occlusion wouldn't cause that pain. What is the truth?? And is it bad to leave a crown that has no occlusion?

Crown with no occlusion #DrSoftTouch

Most of the time a single tooth out of occlusion does not cause significant problems or pain. You mentioned that your bite feels off. It is important that you bite be even all around. I would recommend returning to your dentist to have your bite accessed. Replacing the crown may be necessary. I hope this helps. Click save on the save button below my name, so that you may ask me more questions in the future.

Crown and Occlusion

Yes, your pain could be due to the crown being too low. It's too complicated of a reason for this forum but it is possible. Suffice it to say that it has to do with your muscles and the bite. Just replacing the crown may not be the answer, but one thing to try is to build up the crown with bonding on a temporary basis and see if that helps. If so, then replacing the crown would be in order. I hope this helps. If you have any questions, let me know. 

Crown with no occlusion

Hi:

Most of the time a single crown without any occlusion does not cause any pain or problem, however I have seen in rare occasions that the bite being slightly off specially in the last tooth in the mouth can cause pain in the joint.

If everything has been checked and no other cause can be found, as a last resort, the crown should be changed to see if the pain goes away.

Dr. Maddahi

Kourosh Maddahi, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist