Cavity under a bridge. Can I save the bridge?

I have developed a cavity under a bridge. The dentist says that the surface of the tooth is soft and that I need to replace the bridge to fill the cavity. Is there technology to fill the cavity without replacing the bridge?

Cavity under Bridge

Whether you are able to save the bridge depends on the location of the decay.  If the decay is in between the teeth your only option is to remove the existing bridge because there is no other way to access the area.  If the cavity is under the cheek or palate/tongue side of the bridge there is a chance the bridge can be saved as long as complete removal of the cavity can be accomplished.  If the cavity goes underneath the crown there is no way to guarantee complete removal of the cavity and the bridge may have to be removed.  Good luck!

Saint Louis Dentist

Most likely no

It really depends on how large the cavity is and where it is located.  If it is between the teeth then you would need a new bridge.  If it its on the cheek side of the tooth it might be possible to do a small filling to buy more time with the bridge.  However if the cavity is too large you would need a new bridge.

Joseph Proscia, DDS
Bonita Springs Dentist

Cavity under bridge #DrSoftTouch

Whether you are able to keep your existing bridge depends on how large the cavity is and where it is located. If you have a small cavity on the cheek or tongue side, it may be possible to do a filling if the cavity does not extend under the bridge. If the cavity is located under the bridge, then the bridge would need to be removed, the cavity would be removed then a new bridge would be necessary. I hope this helps. Follow me for more questions and answers.