How long should I wear chin strap after neck lift?

Is there an advantage to wearing the chin strap for 4-6 weeks after neck lift surgery? I'm 17 days post-op and have been advised to wear this chin strap for 4-6 weeks. I'm very diligent about wearing it day and night but it does hurt, my ears mostly. I'm constantly putting padding around the ears to relieve the pressure points. I've noticed online that most doctors advise 7 days. If wearing this for another 2-4 weeks will give me a better result then I will keep wearing it. Please advise.

Neck garment after facelit or neck lift

The length of time depends on what is done. If you had liposuction of the fat in your neck or if you had extensive neck work with swelling, the time needed will be longer.  Your surgeon is the best guide for that so follow his/her advice. 

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

How long after a necklift should I wear a compression strap?

Dear PreciousOne,
The answer to your question really depends upon the surgery that was performed and only your surgeon can give you proper advice. If you are having discomfort from wearing the chin strap ask your surgeon if it can be modified to relieve the pressure around your ears. 
When suction lipectomy is used for the necklift, compression helps control the normal swelling and my be used to help re-drape the skin for a smoother result. Hang in there and discuss with your surgeon. I hope this helps.

Kevin L. Smith, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Chin Strap after Neck Lift

Discuss this with your surgeon, since he/she may have a specific reason to have you wear a chin strap for 4 to 6 weeks. A neck lift can involve different procedures, such as liposuction, and tissues can vary in their tone, so some patients may require support longer than others. Your surgeon can discuss this with you.

You should also ask your surgeon about adjusting your chin strap, since it should fit comfortably with no pressure points.

Click on the link below to see why the anti-gravity action of the chin strap is important during healing.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

When and how long to wear a neck strap after a neck lift is definitely a question I would ask your plastic surgeon as everyone has a different opinion and a reason for that opinion. How you heal in the first several days/weeks can also impact the decisions. Check with you plastic surgeon for specifics. Best wishes, Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Trust your doctor

If your doc says 4 to 6 weeks, it is 4 to 6 weeks.  You trusted the person with your surgery so trust also with your post operative care.   This make sense does it not.  My Best,  Dr C

Chin strap after neck lift

It is imperative for you to follow your surgeon's instructions in order to optimize your results.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Supportive garment is helpful

Every facelift surgeon has his/ her own preference for supportive garments.  I typically place a snug headwrap immediately after surgery and change it for a supportive garment/ chin strap the next day.  I recommend the patient wear this continuously (taking it off only to shower or clean incisions) for 1 week, and then nightly for 6 weeks.  I feel the chin strap helps minimize swelling, which tends to collect in a gravity-dependent manner under the chin.  Furthermore, I believe the chin strap helps to take off some tension off the behind-the-ear incisions, helping keep these narrow and flat.  Ear soreness is fairly common after neck lifting surgery, both due to swelling and deep supporting sutures placed around the ear.  If the garment is rubbing against your ears and irritating them, you may require resizing of the garment.  Follow your surgeon's recommendation, and good luck in your recovery!

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bandages after Necklift

Our patients wear bandages for the first 4 days. After that, I recommend a supporting dressing for the under-chin and neck region only at night for another week.
Every facelift surgeon has his own regimen though...

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin strap

•  If I perform a neck lift without liposuction, I do not use a chin strap at all. If I perfrom liposuction wiuth the lift then I have them wear 24/7 for ten days and then only at night.

Howard N. Robinson, MD (retired)

Chin Strap After Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. I agree with those here that recommend following your surgeon's specific instructions. I generally recommend wearing the support strap for 4 weeks, at least at night, with a routine SMAS face and neck lift. I hope this helps!

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon