Will crown lengthening (removing/shaving down bone) weaken endodontically treated natural teeth?

I recently had emax dental crowns placed in front. They look terribly bulky and one of my central teeth in front shows black around gum line. My dentist said the darl line was from endodontically treated tooth. He said he was unable yo place the thick emax further under gum. He is now suggesting I see a periodontist for crown lengthening. Is this necessary? Will I lose bone? Will he break my natural teeth trying to remove these adhesivesly bonded crowns?

Need picture

It would be really enlightening in your case to see a picture for a recommendation. There are several options depending on how uncomfortable you feel with the front emax crowns, if you wish to change them or not. Crown lengthening is almost mandatory to do before the crowns are cemented. If they raise your gum line they will probably need to match the other gum lines of adjacent teeth as well to preserve harmony. And if done, they will have to re-do the crowns to make the margin of the new crown reach the new length. If they try to pull down the existing crown and add porcelain to reach the length and the recumbent them, I am afraid the aesthetic resultas and long term resistance might not work.
Dr. Galvá

Dominican Republic Dentist

Crown lengthening

The normal reason for crown lengthening is to raise the  gum line up to create longer teeth. If the current level of the gum is even with the next tooth there is no reason to crown lengthen the root canaled tooth. Dark endodonticly treated teeth often show through thin gum tissue. There is really no easy way to mask this problem. You may be able to graft additional tissue over the root to block out the darkness, without a picture it is difficult to determine if this is an option for you. Removing the bonded crowns needs to be done carefully with lots of water. This will prevent overheating of the underlying tooth.