How does a dentist fix a crown that is too high? Will it hurt?

I got a crown a year ago. It was a horrible and very painful experience. The dentist numbed my whole lower face except the spot where I was getting the crown. It took several hours and I was in so much pain. When she finally got it placed I was ready to get out of there! The crown is too high and I can't bite down all be way, but I've been too scared to go back. So my question is how will the dentist fix my crown exactly? Do they have to remove it? Will it hurt?

Adjustment for #crown needed #DrSoftTouch

Hello there,
I'm sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience. It sounds like you need a bite adjustment. This is not uncommon and would only take 10-15 minutes in the dental chair. Contact your dentist about this, and be sure to tell her about any discomfort that you have been experiencing. Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100

High Bite

The bite should be rather easy to correct.  Call your dentist and let him/her adjust it.  This should only take 10-15 minutes.  

High crown

Once a crown is cemented, is really difficult to save it and if you are not conform with the result i recommended you to go back to your doctor´s office and tell about your concern. Also there is a procedure called mock up, that allow you to see how you will look like before getting your esthetic treatment done. 

Yocasta Caba, DDS
Dominican Republic Dentist

Bad crown experience

I'm sorry to hear that your crown was so difficult to place. That is not the normal situation when a crown is done. Discomfort is usually minimal to none. You do need to go back and have it adjusted. Waiting a year has definitely made the situation worse. Your tooth may be sensitive when it is adjusted and it may take more than one visit to get it right. The other option of not being able to close your mouth correctly will become a greater problem ove3r time.