How Soon After Breast Reduction Surgery Can I Go into my Swimming Pool (Salt Water)

My surgery is scheduled for July, how soon after can i go into my swimming pool (salt water, heated pool). I realize i probably cannot start swimming laps around the pool, but just going in the water to cool off? thank you

Swimming After Breast Reduction

It is advised that you avoid going in any pools for at least 3 weeks. You want to make sure your wounds are healed before going swimming as this can increase your risk for infection.

Best to be safe-- wait!

Patients are eager to return to normal activity as soon as possible following cosmetic surgery.Unfortunately, returning to normal activity too soon can result in an increased potential for complications.Swimming and time in the jaccuzzi are both activities that could potentially have negative consequences if resumed too soon.
Theoretically, once the skin edges have sealed in about 48 hours following surgery, these activities can be resumed.In reality, small absorbable interrupted sutures may break through the skin and become exposed.In this situation infection could occur in a patient who is submerged in a jacuzzi, pool, pond, or ocean.Each of these environments may have unique bacteria that may be antibiotic resistant.
In addition, plastic surgeons generally don’t recommend resumption of strenuous activities for a least six weeks following breast reduction.Swimming can create significant strain on the core muscles and should therefore be avoided in the immediate post-operative period.

How soon after my breast reduction surgery can I go into my swimming pool?

Hello! Thank you for your question! On average, a period of approximately 3-4 weeks on average is typical. Submerging in stagnant water, be it bathtubs, jacuzzis, pools, lakes, oceans, etc. can certainly increase your chance for infections. I usually await the incisions to be fully healed prior to allowing for this type of activity. If you do have any wound issues or delayed healing, expect that you will be restricted from doing such things. However, I allow my patients to shower and clean incisions at 3 days postoperative. Regardless, the answer will vary amongst plastic surgeons and you should discuss this with your surgeon and follow his/her instructions. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Swimming after breast reduction

I ask my patients to refrain from using swimming pools or hot tubs for two to three weeks after surgery.  It is important to ensure that the incisions from the surgery are well healed.  Otherwise, pool water that is contaminated with bacteria may enter the surgical wounds and cause an infection.

Swimming after surgery

This is a question you need to ask your surgeon. Personally, I use buried sutures and have none on the surface. Therefore, the wound is generally sealed in about 8 hours. Once this happens, going in a pool should not be a problem. If, however, there is any oozing from the wound or there is any indication it is not healing, you should not be in the pool. You can, however, wash the wound to keep it clean. You should not swim or jump into the pool for about a month or longer to allow the internal scars to become strong enough to resist the forces of swimming (this puts significant caudal stress on the breasts) or the breasts hitting the water.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Swimming after breast reduction

It takes about 2-3 weeks for the incision to really seal nicely.  Soaking in a pool at 3 weeks is probably not advisable.  While you probably can wade in the pool as long as your breasts do not soak, it is probably ok. I hav emy patients  wait about 6 weeks to swim.

Breast Reduction and Healing Time

Usually at about 2-3 weeks time the incisions are pretty much healed.  So as long as my patients dont have any open areas I allow them to submerge the incision sites.  As far as swimming goes and exercise can be resumed at 4 weeks time.

Make sure you discuss this with your surgeon as each surgeon has their own formula for recovery and when to do the do's and don'ts.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

In my personal practice I request at least 3 weeks healing and all wounds healed. No scabs or open areas should be present. 

Swimming after breast reduction

Clean soap and water is great even the day after breast reduction. Swimming should be OK as soon as the incisions are healed, clean, and dry without any suture spitting, usually after two to three weeks. Cool chlorinated pool water is best. Heated saltwater is more of a primordial stew where critters abound. Be sure you are well healed. Until then perhaps a run through the sprinkler to stay cool.

peterejohnsonmd

Wetting wounds after surgery

Every surgeon has different ideas about wetting wounds. In my practice,in 30 years , my patients shower within 24 hrs. In a shower any drainage will harmlessly go down the drain. If it's your pool (either salt or chlorine And propperly cared for) they can go in 24 hrs after drainage has stopped. Most public pools will not allow people with wounds to bathe.

Barry H. Dolich, MD (Retired)
Bronx Plastic Surgeon