Should I wait to get lip filler until I lose all the weight I want? (photo)

I need to lose another 25 pounds but my face is sagging and my lips have virtually disappeared (likely from age). My lower lip looks a tiny bit fuller when I smile. But really it's just not there anymore.

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat -- Go Slow, Use Cannulas

Lips will not worsen or improve with weight gain or loss and are very genetic. I suggest you see an expert for treatment options. Dr. Emer.

Should I wait to get lip filler until I lose all the weight I want?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  I think you are an excellent candidate for a lip augmentation and would recommend using one of the hyaluronic acid dermal fillers such as Juvederm Ultra Plus.  This filler safely gives natural and noticeable results that are long-lasting.  Your weight loss will affect the tissues of your face more than your lips so go ahead and get your lips do now and consider fillers for your face to help support your tissues as you lose weight.  Hope this helps.

Lips don't change much with weight fluctuations

If you want your lips injected, you may as well start now. The size doesn't change much with weight changes. Keep in mind that the fillers in the lips last 4-6 months, so you will need more anyways, down the road. I prefer Restylane Silk for lips.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Weight loss and lip filler

While is true in some plastic surgery procedures is better to lose weight beforehand, lip filler is not one of those procedures. The filler should be used to increase the fullness suppleness and height of your lips.  This should improve the overall shape and structure of your lips regardless of future weight loss plans. If you are considering having lip augmentation with dermal fillers, I would not delay based on future weight loss goals.
I hope this helps

Lip Augmentation And Weight Loss

Thank you for your excellent question and for sharing your photograph.  Congratulations on your weight loss so far!  Based on your photograph, you appear to be an excellent candidate for a conservative lip augmentation with a filler such as Juvederm.  Weight loss will not affect the lips as compared to other areas of the face.  I would recommend that you see an expert injector for an in-person consultation, including a full facial analysis and a discussion of your specific concerns and your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Beautiful lips at any age

Lip rejuvenation can be done at any age and the weight loss is not too important when it comes to timing of the injections. In addition, the entire face needs to be analyzed and the best procedures/product recommended so that the overall look/appearance is the most pleasing. Doing lips without addressing other concerns may not be a great idea.
I recommend that you see an experienced doctor for a thorough consultation and assessment prior to proceeding with any treatments.I hope this helps and best regards, Dr. Sapijaszko.

Mariusz Sapijaszko, MD, FRCPC
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers and Weight Loss

Weight loss is recommended before a face lift since you want to be your optimal weight before surgery.  However, fillers area completely different.  You currently need fillers and you can have more fillers injected if you lose more weight.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Hi, I have performed many Lip Augmentations using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years.  Weight loss will not have any impact on the size of the lips, so you can have them augmented anytime.Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts.  From the photos (non smiling of the front and side would be better for evaluation) your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front) and jowls are present. These factors combine to create a rectangular shaped face. There does not appear to be an excess amount of fat in your face or neck.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

"Jowls” are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed. My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:
  • very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.