How Can I Get Rid of Bone Fragments Under my Skin Caused by Acne?

My Dr. says I have small bone fragments under my skin (chin) due to severe acne in my 20s. I am now 57. He said he doesn't think he can help me. Is there anyone who CAN help me with this problem?

Doctor Answers 3

Small microincisions can be used to remove the bone

What you are experiencing is a very rare complication of acne. The bone can be removed through microincisions in an outpatient setting with great results!

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Consult with a Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon

As Dr. Karamanoukian points out, there is the possibility of small deposits of calcium in areas of inflammation, such as acne. Removal is fairly straight forward and can achieved with a minimal scar. Consult a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon in your area for more information.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon
3.9 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

Effective removal of Heterotrophic Calcification and Acne Scars

Heterotrophic calcification is quite common in certain inflammatory conditions. In patients with acne and other inflammatory conditions of the skin, this condition can cause pain and symptoms associated with these deposits.

Seek the advice of a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist who is familiar with micro-techniques for removal of these lesions. I routinely perform these procedures as an outpatient technique in a clinic setting.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 94 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.