With female rhinoplasty, it seems that a lot of looks can be attractive. I've seen girls considered attractive who either have rounded noses, sharp noses, or generally everything in between. With males though, it seems there's much more a 'make or break' thing going on. I rarely see a male with a rounded, chubby nose who'd be considered 'facially-attractive', where as I think a male with a more shaped, structured nose gives a look of attractiveness, confidence, and intelligence. Do you agree that this is usually one of the good reasons for males to have rhinoplasty, if they have a shapeless nose?
What's Most Attractive in a Male Nose?
Doctor Answers 38
What's Most Attractive in a Male Nose?
I have a definite philosophy about male noses.
- I like a strong nose, straight dorsum or a slight hump.
- Male noses ususlly have thicker skin in the tip and generally cannot and should not look as delicate as a female nose.
- I try to increase tip definition with cartilage grafts.
- A male nose can be a bit larger than a female nose and still look good.
- The result should look as natural as possible, not have an operaated look.
- I have given you a link to a good example.
Male Rhinoplasty Can Produce a Natural Result
In order for the nose to look natural, it must be adhere to certain proportions and be in balance with the patient's overal facial features.
In general, most men prefer to have a nose that has the following features:
- Straight or slightly covex bridge line when viewed from the side. The more "scooped" the bridge is, the more it feminizes the profile
- Angle of rotation (amount that the nose is turned up) close to 90 degrees. A nose that is rotated less than 90 degrees will look droopy or elongated. A nose that is rotate more than 90-95 degrees in a male makes the nose look too upturned, short, or feminzed
- Defined tip but not narrow or pinched. The more narrow a tip is the more feminine the appearance. Also, an overly narrow or pinched tip will give the nose an "operated" look.
A good rhinoplasty surgeon will guide you as to what looks good, but at the same should not dictate what is done. In the end, the general features of the nose are something that the patient should decide what looks the best.
To get a better understanding of how your nose might look, your prospective surgeon should be able to show you computer generated images that simulate the proposed changes to your nose. Recently, 3D imaging has become available that can allow you to see how your nose might look from any angle.
You might also like...
The key to good rhinoplasty results is that the nose is proportional to the surrounding facial structures. Therefore, it follows that a male nose is usually stronger and more defined. However, all male noses are not alike, just as ladies are not the same. One of the tremendous challenges of this surgery is the fact that there is so much variation.
What makes a nose attractive ?
There are many factors that go into an attractive nose and you should discuss your desires with your surgeon in detail. Sometimes I have patients bring in photos of what they think they might like and we use them as a talking point.
In general, most people are looking for improved symmetry with reduction of a "bump" on the bridge and better definition of the tip and overall nose. Often there may be limitations based on your breathing and this too should be discussed with your surgeon.
What makes a male nose attractive vs. female in rhinoplasty
- Bridge of nose: In men its important to have a stronger bridge. A tiny bump is also ok. In women a smooth bridge is attractive with a small break in the supra tip area. A scooped out appearance is unattractive in both sexes.
- Nasal tip: In men, the skin is often thicker and so there naturally is less tip definition possible. Women tend to have more definition in the tip of their nose. An overly defined tip in a man can feminize their appearance.
An attractive nasal appearance on a man or woman is one that is not distracting and blends in.
Hope this helps.
Attractive male noses
Attractive Male Nose Features
Be straight rather than scooped
Tip refined but not as much as a female
Straight or 90 deg without the tip rotated up
Projection of tip rather than a short nose
These are generally some of the desired features but its crucial that the surgeon assess your other facial features and customizes the nose to you
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.