What's Most Attractive in a Male Nose?

With female rhinoplasty, it seems that a lot of looks can be attractive. I've seen girls considered attractive who either have rounded noses, sharp noses, or generally everything in between. With males though, it seems there's much more a 'make or break' thing going on. I rarely see a male with a rounded, chubby nose who'd be considered 'facially-attractive', where as I think a male with a more shaped, structured nose gives a look of attractiveness, confidence, and intelligence. Do you agree that this is usually one of the good reasons for males to have rhinoplasty, if they have a shapeless nose?

What's Most Attractive in a Male Nose?

I have a definite philosophy about male noses. 

• I like a strong nose, straight dorsum or a slight hump.
  • Male noses ususlly have thicker skin in the tip and generally cannot and should not look as delicate as a female nose.
  • I try to increase tip definition with cartilage grafts.
  • A male nose can be a bit larger than a female nose and still look good. 
  • The result should look as natural as possible, not have an operaated look.
  • I have given you a link to a good example.

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Male rhinoplasty

You have made some very good observations with regards to male and female noses. I have found that no two individuals, male or female, will necessarily look good with the same nose. The noses that you have found to be attractive in females are likely proportionate to the face and follow some basic parameters and measurements that we generally follow to help us with our judgment during rhinoplasty. The variations in rhinoplasty you have noticed in females are in large part related to some of the art that is required to create the subtle changes that make the nose look good. What you see in male noses are exactly as you have interpreted them. Male noses help convey confidence and attractiveness when they are strong, full, and well defined.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Male Rhinoplasty Can Produce a Natural Result

In order for the nose to look natural, it must be adhere to certain proportions and be in balance with the patient's overal facial features.

In general, most men prefer to have a nose that has the following features:

• Straight or slightly covex bridge line when viewed from the side. The more "scooped" the bridge is, the more it feminizes the profile
  • Angle of rotation (amount that the nose is turned up) close to 90 degrees. A nose that is rotated less than 90 degrees will look droopy or elongated. A nose that is rotate more than 90-95 degrees in a male makes the nose look too upturned, short, or feminzed
  • Defined tip but not narrow or pinched. The more narrow a tip is the more feminine the appearance. Also, an overly narrow or pinched tip will give the nose an "operated" look.

A good rhinoplasty surgeon will guide you as to what looks good, but at the same should not dictate what is done. In the end, the general features of the nose are something that the patient should decide what looks the best.

To get a better understanding of how your nose might look, your prospective surgeon should be able to show you computer generated images that simulate the proposed changes to your nose. Recently, 3D imaging has become available that can allow you to see how your nose might look from any angle.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Male Nose

The key to good rhinoplasty results is that the nose is proportional to the surrounding facial structures. Therefore, it follows that a male nose is usually stronger and more defined. However, all male noses are not alike, just as ladies are not the same. One of the tremendous challenges of this surgery is the fact that there is so much variation.

What makes a nose attractive ?

There are many factors that go into an attractive nose and you should discuss your desires with your surgeon in detail. Sometimes I have patients bring in photos of what they think they might like and we use them as a talking point.

In general, most people are looking for improved symmetry with reduction of a "bump" on the bridge and better definition of the tip and overall nose. Often there may be limitations based on your breathing and this too should be discussed with your surgeon.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

What makes an attractive Male nose

• The one observation in your insightful question that is most relevant to a rhinoplasty surgeon, is your comment about a "shapeless" nose being unattractive. I think what you may be referring to is a nose with a thick skin envelope and minimal cartilage support
  • The thickness and texture of the skin of the nose has a huge effect on nasal appearance and therefor beauty.  Many males have thick skin over the nose, causing less definition and shape
  • For these types of noses, surgical changes can be more tough to accomplish.  Often surgeons help the shape by supporting the cartilage with grafts and suturing, rather than just making the nose smaller
  • As many other surgeons have stated, the goal is for a nose that suits the overall features and size and shape of the patient, with a well supported and defined tip, good breathing, a straight nose from the front view, and not too much protrusion from the side view. If all this is accomplished, then a nose should appear natural and harmonious. 
  • Whether the result is beautiful is a highly personal question.  We strive for improvements and hope the changes help a patient feel more normal, or stand out less.  

Michael Suzman, MD

Most attractive aspects of a male nose

Generally speaking, the male nose is straight along the top and onto the tip.  The lines on either side of the nose extending from the brow downward need to be parallel and straight as well.  The angle between the lip and the nose is usually around 90 degrees or a right angle.  

Cory Goldberg, MD

Male Rhinoplasty ~ most attractive attributes of a nose job for a male

The end result for an attractive male nose is somewhat different than for a female.  A male nose is most attractive with a straight bridge (dorsum) when viewed from the side (profile view).  In some cases even a very slight increase in bridge height is desired by some men.  In my experience, using the 3-D imaging system in the office helps best for the patient to determine this, and is something most rhinoplasty surgeons are now using during the consultation process.

Also, in males the angle between the upper lip and the columella is ideally between 90 and 95 degrees.  Any less looks aged, and any more begins to appear feminine.  Again, the 3-D imager helps to find the best angle when discussing this with your surgeon.

Finally, whether male or female, a defined but NOT pinched tip is attractive.  Males on average have thicker nasal skin than females and the thicker the skin, the more it limits the degree of refinement (narrowing) that can be achieved.  Make sure your surgeon assesses this preoperatively in your consult to you have a realistic idea as to how much refinement can be obtained.

Hope you found this answer helpful.  All the best!

Burke Robinson, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Male Nose

As with women, the keys are facial harmony and balance. Generally, men will have stronger noses than women that is also longer with thicker skin. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

What makes a male nose attractive vs. female in rhinoplasty

There are two main differences in how a male vs. female rhinoplasty is approached.
  • Bridge of nose:  In men its important to have a stronger bridge.  A tiny bump is also ok.  In women a smooth bridge is attractive with a small break in the supra tip area.  A scooped out appearance is unattractive in both sexes.  
  • Nasal tip:  In men, the skin is often thicker and so there naturally is less tip definition possible.  Women tend to have more definition in the tip of their nose.  An overly defined tip in a man can feminize their appearance.

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon