Is Nose Job the Only Answer for a Bulbous "Golf Ball" Nose?

As my nose is like a golf ball, I haven't got much confidence because of it. Is nose job the only answer for getting this fixed?

Doctor Answers 6

Rhinoplasty is the only real solution.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Surgical rhinoplasty is really the only meaningful way to properly reshape a bulbous nasal tip. Non-surgical rhinoplasties are not appropriate for reshaping a tip configuration like the one depicted in your photograph.

While there are some devices out there on the web that claim to be able to reshape the cartilages of the nose without surgery, they are universally a scam. The nasal tip cartilages can only be permanently altered by cutting and/or suturing...and that requires surgery.

If you do decide to undergo surgery, just be sure to do your research and check out your prospective surgeon's credentials and examples of his/her work.

All the best,


Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous Nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The only way to correct a bulbous nose is by a rhinoplasty. The optimal way is through an open approach and using the patient’s own cartilage to surgically reshape the nasal tip using invisible sutures for nasal tip reconstruction.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon

Nose job for bulbous nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The bulbous tip in the photo can be removed through a surgical technique called a tip rhinoplasty. In the majority of patients the entire nose job is done (bridge, nose, and the middle third vault), so that all components of the nose are balanced. Occasionally, we perform only a tip plasty when the remainder of the nose is within balance. There are no injections that can reduce the bulbosity of the nose.

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 158 reviews

Rhinoplasty Is The Best Option For Reshaping a

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The appearance of a "ball tip" most commonly arises from the shape of the underlying cartilages. If this is the case, the lower lateral cartilages (tip cartilages) can be trimmed and reshaped either with sutures or with grafts to relieve the excess curvature. A tip rhinoplasty is the most reliable means of acheiving the desired result.

To get a better understanding of what your nose would look like after surgery, your prospective rhinoplasty surgeon should be able to show you before and after computer simulations. Many rhinoplasty surgeons use computer imaging, and recently 3D rhinoplasty imaging has become available. This allows patients to preview how their nose might look after surgery.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 149 reviews

There is no other non-surgical way of doing it.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

 See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who can do subtle, natural changes in the nose without creating an artificial look. There is no other way to do it.

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Rhinoplasty for Bulbous Nasal Tip and Low Confidence

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Lack of Confidence,

As far as your nose goes, rhinoplasty is the only method to correct your bulbous tip. You are a good looking, handsome young man, so at least from this "expert" please don't let your nose diminish your self-esteem or confidence.

If your nose continues to trouble you, consult with a few rhinoplasty surgeons before choosing carefully the surgeon you trust to change your nose. A successful rhinoplasty will change your nose, but you will be responsible for your confidence.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.