How Long to Wait for Lower Face and Neck Lift Revision Surgery?

I am 4 months post op from lower face and neck lift. When I look forward with my head raised my jawline looks perfectly smooth. If I smile, turn or lower my head I have terrible creasing and folds in my left jawline and lower cheek (see photo). My right side looks perfectly fine. My PS thinks this may be scar tissue and wants to undermine this area and under my chin again.

If this is scar tissue, why does this happen? What's to prevent this from reoccuring with a revision? How long should I wait for revision surgery?

Irregular creasing of jawline skin after lower face and necklift

This creasing likely will not improve over time without followup surgery. Your surgeon is right and the skin needs to be released. This can likely be done under local anesthesia, possibly with some Valium. Anytime would be the right time after 4 months. 

Facelift revision

In a case like yours where you need the lift revised extensively, it is usually safest to wait about a year from the original surgery.  The reason is that there is scar tissue under the skin that takes time to soften up.  Minor revisions can be done sooner, but in your case, wait a year.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

LOWER FACELIFT & NECK LIFT REVISION - WAIT 1 YEAR BEFORE DOING THE FACELIFT AGAIN

Revision surgery of any kind should not be performed before six months have elapsed.  Ideally one year is even more prudent.

If the area in question was not treated  at all at the time of the initial surgery, then revision surgery may be carried out sooner rather than later.

Dr. Carlos Cordoba
MDCM, CSPQ, FRCS, FACS
Plastic & Esthetic Surgeon
4055 Ste-Catherine O. Suite 100
Montreal, QC. Canada H3Z 3J8
514-932-7667

Carlos Cordoba, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Revision Facelift Surgery using a Deep Plane Approach

This is somewhat of an open-ended question. I do a lot of revision facelift surgery so when a patient comes for a second opinion and has a less than optimal result; I will often offer a revision facelift. I do facelift surgery using the deep plane approach which I feel is much more effective in elevating, releasing, and lifting the tissue back in a more natural location. We would prefer to wait a full year or more since there will be changes over the first year and to be most effective we should wait until all of these changes have occurred before attempting a revision procedure. Sometimes it is difficult for the patients to wait but it really is in their best interest for long term healing.

Edwin F. Williams, III, MD
Latham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Let your surgeon decide that

There is no magical timetable for revisions such as yours. Your own surgeon is your best guide.  Once surgeon determines that swelling has subsided and stabilized the surgery can be done. Often 6-12 months are required to reach that state.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Non surgical facelift in Los Angeles

Our office specializes in facelift surgery and revision facelift surgery. One of the best options for revision surgery in some cases is the Ultherapy non surgical lift. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Timing for Lower Face and Neck Lift Revision Surgery

You may be a candidate for a revision, but should wait between 6 months and a year. Communicate your concerns clearly but calmly to your surgeon so he/she can continue to monitor, and respond appropriately at the correct time. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Facelift revision - How long to wait ?

The general rule of thumb is to wait at least for a year for edema to resolve and suppleness to return. In some cases if the skin and underlying tissue is supple and your surgeon thinks it might resolve a few months less would be considered.

Neck Lift Revision?

After reviewing your photos, I would suggest that you wait at least 6 months before revisional surgery. Your result may improve with the passage of time. If it doesn't, then waiting will allow the soft tissues to soften. This will increase your likelyhood for a better result. Good luck.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Creases on the neck after lower facelift

Dear Lower Facelift Patient from Massachusetts,
The creasing or “pleating” appearance of skin on your left side of the neck could be contributed from inadequate undermining and re-draping of the skin flap during the surgery. If you wish to correct it, I would recommend waiting another 6 months before pursuing revision. Good luck

Kevin Sadati, DO