Is It Safe to Have Another Facelift Seven Years After?

I'm 65 years old and had a facelift seven years ago that I was delighted with. I'm beginning now to see the need for perhaps another minor procedure even though I do Botox. I wasn't happy with my Juvederm injection for the nose-to-mouth line so prefer not attempting that again. Any suggestions as to another facelift and the type or would this be an overkill on my part? Thanks!

Secondary or revision facelift considerations

Secondary facelifts are indeed gratifying procedures, and usually quite safe in the medically cleared patient. For patients your age, our practice typically would request you get a stress test, cardiogram, physical examination and blood tests.

The bigger question is how the secondary procedure is done. Often, after a facelift there are minor alterations of the hairline and ear area. If specific steps are not taken, these irregularities get worse.

The skillset for secondary facelifts (and many of the adjunctive procedures to offer the patient) are completely different from the first time surgery.

With secondary lifts, the goal becomes correcting of the hairline, tragus (bump in front of the ear), earlobe, previous scarring, eyelid shape, especially from prior lower eyelid surgery, and restoration of hair lost to prior surgery and aging.

Even more important than the corrective aspect of the secondary facelift is the volume aspect. Valuable volume lost to time will NOT come back by itself. It must be strategically placed in areas of hollowness, and readjusted from positions where the volume is detrimental to a position where the volume enhances the appearance.

Also important is the appearance and length of the upper lip, the earlobes, the skin surface itself, since all of these structures have been aging (and often lengthening) over time.

If you want to obtain your best result, your prospective surgeon should be comfortable with these concepts, and probably will bring them up at the time of consultation without you having to say anything.

Secondary Facelifts and your appearance

Two issues that are mutually exclusive in your question. The first is whether it is safe to undergo a second facelift procedure in a 7 year period. To this I would echo the sentiments of my colleagues in that the safety of the procedure will depend on your overall health and the skill of your surgeon.
The second issue is whether you are an appropriate candidate physically for a second facelift. The fact that fillers around your mouth did not really do the trick is no surprise. You might consider fillers or fat to specific areas of your face that would give you a more youthful and full faced appearance rather than the appearance you will get by simply pulling your skin tighter. The mid face, cheeks, jaw line, and temples are four such regions.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is Safe if you are Healthy

Safety in a surgical procedure is predicated on the physiological health of the patient. In elective cosmetic surgical cases, one of the chief responsibilities of the surgeon is appropriate patient selection: based on indications (aging changes), physiological health (cardiovascular, respiratory, and other systems), and psychological health (an individual's state of mind and motivations). Revision Facelift surgery can be more technically complex depending on the incision placement and technique of the first surgeon, but in most circumstances is feasible.

Your being underwhelmed with Botox and Juvederm isn't unusual for a patient at your stage. Although these procedures can work very well, they just don't achieve the same degree of results as a Facelift. When your expectations exceed the results you can achieve with minimally invasive procedures, and you have the desire to proceed with a revision Facelift, and you are healthy, then it is safe to proceed.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Redo facelift

Revision facelift surgery has the advantage of delayed flaps. This decreases the blood flow demand on the flaps of skin that are elevated as the blood flow has been redirected following the initial surgery. Caution needs to be exercised as it is not desirable to appear "over pulled" giving the patient the wind blown look.
A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area is a good start.

Second Facelift Is Safe and Normal

As long as you are in good health and have good quality skin, you should be an excellent candidate for a second, or revision facelift. Most facelifts last about ten years so it is not unusual for you to start wanting to make changes at the seven-year mark. Botox and filler maybe an option to improve facial balance.  It all depends on your goals and expections on which path is going to be best for you.  I hope this helps.

Secondary Facelifts

In general, it is safe to undergo a second facelift seven after a primary surgery–assuming your overall health is excellent. A patient typically benefits from a facelift for about seven to ten years, so it is not unusual for an individual to consider having a second face lift around the seven-year mark. It is important to remember that your skin has continued to age, so it will be less elastic than it was before– this means that the surgical plan may be different than it was for the original surgery. A skilled surgeon will be able to determine the best way forward based on your history and the current condition of your skin.

Facelift Revision is a safe procedure

A secondary facelift can safely be performed in a 7 year period. A thorough workup should be performed prior to any surgery. Consult with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Revision Facelift Atlanta

As a facial plastic surgeon, my most commonly performed procedure are facelifts.  Having another facelift 7 years later is not unusual and there are no issues with doing that.  However, seeing a facial specialist may give you other options with fillers in other areas that will 'lift' the face for you without surgery, especially if the changes are minor.  

If fillers are not for you, then your physical health is really the only concern.  Visit our facelift website to learn more about different types of facelift.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Safety for re do facelift 7 years post op

Revision surgery most always comes with unique challenges.  If your surgeon is experienced, they will anticipate the issues and all should come out well.  As far as safety goes, it depends on your overall health.  If you are in good health, then you should be able to tolerate the procedure just fine.  Please speak at length to your board certified surgeon.  Please look and see if they are board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or Otolaryngology, (ENT)

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Go for it!

Commonly face lifts last 7 - 10 years but it varies on individuals. It is safe to perform further face lifts and these are commonly done at this time. However as this is revision surgery more care and attention needs to be taken by the surgeon due to previous scarring to give the desired effect. It's important to select the right surgeon who performs the revision surgery.

As the skin looses elasticity, fillers to the face for fine lines and wrinkles become less effective as the skin does not have the tone to hold back the extra weight that is being replaced by the filler into the face and for some people the appearance looks worse with a filler than without.

Good luck and all the best with your new journey.

Amir Nakhdjevani, MBBS, MRCS, FRCS (Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon