Is 70 Too Old for a Facelift?

25 years ago we would have said yes

Now, it very much depends on the individual's state of health.  I have a 70 year old in my practice who is a marathon runner.  Because surgery is performed under deep IV sedation or general anesthesia, it is important that you internist agrees this is a reasonable pursuit.  Recovery is relatively fast  and provided you are in good health and have realistic goals, this can be a very reasonable choice.  I personally would recommend that you have your facelift at a hospital based surgery center or operating room rather than a surgeon's private office based operating room.  A hospital location ensures there are medical resources around in case they are needed.

Your overall health determines your risk

A healthy seventy year old can be an ideal candidate for a facelift. Your board certified plastic surgeon can make this evaluation along with your primary medical doctor. They will determine your risks verse benefits and present you with a safe plan to address your aesthetic concerns. There is no reason you can't look as good as you feel.
Good luck

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

What is the Ideal Age to Consider a Facelift

A person’s age is best guessed by the appearance of their face. If you feel that your face does not reflect how young you feel inside, you may be a candidate for a facelift. During your #consultation, your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect. If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives.

Patients who desire facial rejuvenation that is affordable, quick, and effective should consider the Lite-lift™. Like the Life-Style™ facelift, this is a modified facelift, individualized for each patient, that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques that are discussed below. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.
The best candidates for #LiteLift are non-smoking patients 35-60 years old with early changes of the lower face and the neck. But whose skin has elasticity with well defined bone structure. Older patients who cannot or do not wish to have a longer operation or general anesthetic can be improved with a Lite Lift™.

Skin Quality and Health, Not Age, Determine Candidacy for Facelifts

I would never rule out a patient for a facelift simply because of chronological age. Every person must be evaluated individually, taking into consideration their skin elasticity, overall health, and how realistic their expectations are. I hope this helps.

Never “Too Old” for a Facelift

No, as long as you are in good physical health and are cleared for surgery, you can enjoy the benefits of a facelift at nearly any age. It is never too late, and you are never “too old” to feel refreshed and rejuvenated. So, if you feel as though a facelift surgery will give you a reinvigorated look, and considering you are a healthy individual, I recommend that you move forward with the cosmetic procedure despite your apprehension about age. 

Facelift age

If you're healthy physically and psychologically and have realistic expectations of the procedure, then 70 is not too old. These days, facelifts have improved in safety and effectiveness,making them suitable for patients even older!

Is 70 too old for a facelift?

Hello! Thank you for your question! Age alone is not a contraindication to a surgical procedure. There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Factors such as diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, heart problems, lung problems, etc are more common in the elderly. However, if you are healthy, or these conditions are well-controlled, you would certainly still be a candidate for a surgical procedure. If your complaints or desires are great enough to consider the surgical option, I would seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your complaints and go over the options as well as risks and benefits of the procedure.

You should obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. For elective or aesthetic procedures, your surgeon may want to get you to a reasonable health status prior to consideration for a procedure. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks. Also, discuss this with your anesthesiologist as proper monitoring and medications will be watched closely. This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Facelift

As long as you a fit and healthy then being 70 is not a reason to not have elective surgery - anaesthesia is very safe and the risks are minimal. Regards Dr Charles Cope

Charles Cope, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

​Male Facelift in an older patient

In my practice we routinely perform facelifts on older patients, provided that certain factors are taken into consideration. First a thorough evaluation is performed by an internist. Second, the surgery and anesthesia is performed in such a fashion that there is minimal strain on the cardiovascular system. It takes an expert OR team, surgeon, anesthesiologist and well trained OR staff, to achieve that. Of course of utmost importance is to choose an expert facelift surgeon that can deliver the desired result.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

70 and facelift

Being seventy years old is not too old for a facelift.  I think that as long as you are healthy it should be fine. An exam would be essential of course to assess your overall medical conditiona and also address your concerns.