54 Year Old, Am I Too Old for Lipo on my Chin? (photo)

I am 54  healthy but I hate my double chin. Am I too old for lipo on my chin , because I really don't think I need a face lift

There's help for your neckline!

As we age, our facial fat changes. We tend to lose the "baby fat" just under our skin, resulting in deflation and loose skin.  On the other hand, deeper fat pockets (like the one under the jaw) increase, resulting in fullness under the jawline that blunts the normal contour of the neck. Liposuction can definitely improve the fatty fullness, but some form of skin tightening may be needed to smooth the loose skin. This can be done by surgically removing the skin, as in a neck lift, or by laser tightening of the skin, as with Precision Liposuction. In addition, a chin implant can dramatically improve the appearance of the neck in those patients with a lack of natural chin projection. The right procedure for you may include any or all of these things, depending on your exam.

Lower neck lift

When someone is younger, the skin tightness is such that liposuction alone would work.  However, you have some loose skin and platysmal banding (muscle strings under the neck).  You would be throwing your money away with liposuction along.  A small-incision lower neck lift (The U-lift (tm) is an example) would give a nice appearance to your lower neck.  Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD

No you are not too old.

Age is not the issue.  However, I agree with others that what you really need is a lower facelift.  Fat is golden.  Simply removing facial fat without tightening the facial musculature, the corner stone of modern facelifts will simply reveal the lax muscles of the lower face.  For this reason, I would counsel you to consider a properly individualized lower face and neck lift.  Performing facial liposuction perhaps with a midline platysmaplasty will provide some degree of improvement but it lacks the power of a facelift.  Ultimately this will be a personal decision for you between you and your cosmetic surgeon.

Facelifts and facial liposuction

You will be disappointed with facial liposuction and will have excess skin under your neck and chin.   You are a candidate for a facelift anatomically.  If you do not think you need a facelift then you are not yet psychologically ready for a facelift so for goodness sake do not have a facelift.   You should only do surgery on your face if YOU WANT IT AND THINK YOU NEED IT.  I tell patients you must be anatomically ready, psychologically ready, and financially ready.  Facelift costs generally are quite modest but should not be done unless all 3 requirements are met.  My best,  Dr C

54 Year Old, Am I Too Old for Lipo on my Chin?

Thank you for the question. Your age is absolutely not an absolute contraindication to liposuction surgery; assuming you are in good health and a good candidate for the procedure you may have an excellent outcome with the procedure.  Generally speaking, the ideal patient for liposuction surgery is a patient who has isolated areas of diet and exercise resistant adipose tissue with good quality overlying skin elasticity.

You may find the attached link, dedicated to liposuction surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Would neck lipo meet my expectations?? Ask Dr Ellen

Hello Pat,

Nobody is really too old for anything but the real question is: will lipo of your neck meet your expectations??

If you're looking for more definition of your neck and jaw line, liposuction will not deliver the results because the laxity of the visible underlying musculature of your neck is evident and will not change.

Although there may be a little bit of fatty tissue in that area, the majority of what shows up in your photos is a combination of loose, lax skin and muscle. At 54 the biggest bang for the buck would be a lift which would address all three issues and provides a long lasting result.

Good luck!

Thanks for asking! Dr Ellen

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

Submental Smartlipo

Smartlipo of the chin will help to get a more defined jawline. If you have small fat pockets then you are a good candidate for submental lipo. Please consult with your surgeon in order to find if this is the right procedure for you.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Never too old for chin liposuction...

The determining factor in whether you can have liposuction is how loose your neck skin is.  If it is really loose, then a lift will be required.  If the skin snaps back after pulling on it, then liposuction will work well for you.  Typically, at age 54 you will need some type of lift to go along with fat removal for the best result.  Make sure you set up an appointment with a plastic surgeon who performs a lot of these procedures to get the best opinion.

Improving a double chin

You are 54 Years Young! It’s never too late to look your best at every age.  I would suggest that you not get too attached to a particular treatment-keep an open mind about what treatment might be the best, and go into your consultation instead with specific information about what you want to accomplish.  This way you will give your plastic surgeon an opportunity to go through all of your options.  An important consideration for any treatment is the flexibility you have in regards to cost, recovery and complexity of the treatment.  All of that is valuable information for your surgeon to help you choose the best option for your goals, pocket book and lifestyle.   I would need to examine you in person to give you my thoughts on what might best meet your needs.  While a “facelift” can feel daunting or something for an older, more wrinkly patient, it is actually a treatment to tighten the neck and lower face.  Don’t be afraid to look at this option-I think you would be very happy with the outcome to address the lack of definition in your neck. I have also had some good results with a combination of liposuction and Ultherapy to help tighten the skin.

Dan Mills, MD

Chin liposuction vs neck lift

when the chin skin is excessive and very lax, a neck lift would be indicated. Also some type of skin tightening can be very helpful.

In patients where the laxity is minimal and the skin has good elasticity, liposuction can make a great improvement.

Hope this was helpful.

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS