I was 450 pounds and had gastric bypass three years ago. I am currently 240 and have a large belly. Will coolsculpting work?

are there any other thingsI should consider?

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and Coolsculpting

Congratulations on the enormous weight loss.  Coolsculpting may work but it is impossible to say without an in office consultation.  If there is a lot of loose skin, then coolsculpting will not help at all with that.  Thermage can tighten skin in an area but if is really loose you would need surgery.  If you post photos I can be of more help.

Coolsculpting after gastric bypass

I have found that coolsculpting works well to reduce localized fat deposits for people who do not want liposuction or surgery. From the limited information you provided I would guess that coolsculpting would not be my first choice for reducing your large belly. After losing 210 pounds it is likely that you have a large amount of loose skin in addition to remaining fat. The best option for improving your midsection would be a tummy tuck or lower body lift.

Coolsculpting after massive weightloss

Hi, Coolsculpting will work as far as the technical aspect of the procedure, but the success will depend on your expectations. Coolsculpting is meant to sculpt and refine areas, and while you can get some bulk reduction especially with the larger applicator the procedure will not result in any meaningful weight loss.

If you you are looking for a little extra refinement it may provide good results. If you are looking for significant bulk reduction I don't think it will be a cost effective option.

Best of luck.

Sarah A. Mess, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Possible CoolSculpting candidate after gastric bypass

CoolSculpting is not a method to reduce weight, but rather a method to help sculpt the body in areas that have isolated bulges of fat. It will also only work for fat that is superficial and not within the abdominal cavity. Ideally, you should be at your goal weight before having CoolSculpting treatments. If you do have superficial abdominal fat, it's possible that the treatment could help, but it's impossible to know if you are a good candidate without examining you first. Other proven methods of fat reduction for superficial fat would be surgical liposuction.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon