22 Years Old, Very Self-conscious over Weak Chin, Not Sure if Chin Implant or Jaw Surgery is Best Option? (photo)

I'm 22 years old and extremely self conscious over my weak chin. I had braces when i was in 6th grade and they mentioned something about jaw surgery ( but my parents said no). So i wasn't sure if i should return to an orthodontist and have jaw surgery to fix my chin, or if a chin implant would be more suitable because its mostly for aesthetic reasons. I'm in CT, and not sure where to find a surgeon or where to look. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you,

Doctor Answers 6

Weak chin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You would be best served with a mandibular advancement and advancement genioplast.  You have a dentofacial deformity and  a chin implant alone will not correct the problem.  See an orthodontist and a surgeon well versed in orthognathic (jaw) surgery for an evaluation.  Donald R. Nunn MD  DDS  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

Weak chin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Looking at your photo you do have a significantly weak chin. I would anticipate that you have what is called micrognathia which means not only is your chin small but also your lower jaw (mandible) is set too far back compared to your upper jaw (maxilla). Microgenia is when you have a small chin but your jaws are well aligned. In either case your options include surgically advancing your lower jaw bone which can also improve your bite or just placing a large chin implant which will not affect your bite. I recommend seeing someone in your area that is comfortable doing the procedures and discussing the pros and cons of each. Asking your dentist for a good oral surgeon referral is a good place to start to get more information about the jaw surgery. Best wishes.   

Manuel A. Lopez, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Looking at your profile, my first reaction would be that you would require a very large chin implant, and it might not look quite normal.  Also, it depends somewhat on whether or not your bite is normal.  I would get an opinion from an oral-maxilofacial surgeon first.


Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant vs chin surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You appear to have a severe deficiency of the lower jaw -- it requires orthognathic surgery to correct it.  Absolutely no chin implant could do for you what appropriate ortho surgery could do.

Good luck!

Elliot Jacobs, MD, FACS

New York City


You may wish to consider consultation to see if Chin Implant Surgery would be right for you.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I read your concerns and reviewed your profile photo:

If your dental occlusion is normal, I see no disadvantage in considering chin implant surgery. My personal preference is to use extended anatomical silicone implants placed through a small incision under your chin. You may require a large or extra-large implant which may be associated with a slightly higher incidence of lower lip weakness and chin numbness.

If you're a candidate for chin implant surgery, surgery takes under an hour, and downtime is around a week. Silicone chin implants are removable, if necessary. Genioplasty surgery is more invasive, with more downtime, and possibly less precise in predicting an outcome.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 435 reviews

Orthognathic Surgery for Severe Chin Deficiency

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Given the severity of your chin/lower jaw deficiency, you should first consult with an orthodontist and consider orthognathic surgery. (lower jaw advancement) There are chin advancement options to consider but these would secondary choices only after orthognathic surgery has been ruled out.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.