Increase my Facial Length Vertically?

I have a square jaw and small chin, it makes my lower face very small, and the whole face looks like a square. I want to make my jaw and chin bigger and taller by an inch, is it possible, and what type of surgeries can do this for me?

Options for Vertical Facial Lengthening

Vertical lower facial lengthening can be done by either an opening wedge genioplasty with interpositonal graft or a custom wrap around inferior border jawline implant. The decision between the two is based on whether just lengthening the chin or a much bigger part of the jawline is more aesthetically beneficial. Your description of need suggests more of the entire jawline. Pictures and computer imaging will answer that treatment choice question. What I do know is that the amount of vertical lengthening would not be an inch as that is an extreme amount of facial lengthening and it is common that patients with this aesthetic need think that. More realistic vertical lengthening is 10 to 12mms in most cases.

Facial length

An inch is a lot to lenghten a face.  Usually several millimeters will make a huge change.  What is needed depends on what portion of the face is deficient in length.  If it is the midface then the maxilla needs to be lowered by orthognathic surgery.  If it is the lower face only, then a genioplasty with down grafting is needed.  Sometimes both are needed to obtain the best results.  See a surgeon well versed in facial skeletal surgery for an evaluation.  Donald R. Nunn MD, DDS  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Sliding genioplasty can be used to lengthen the face

Sliding genioplasty surgery can be used to lengthen the lower portion of the face. This is done by moving the chin bone forward and downward.

You can learn more about sliding genioplasty surgery at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Taller face.

Without pictures it is hard to answer your question other than to say it is not usually possible to increase facial height by so much. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon