Is 18 Too Young for a Breast Lift? (photo)

I'm 18 and was wondering if I am too young to have a breast lift. I hate the appearance of my breasts, including the areoles. It also seems that I don't have enough breast tissue above my nipples. Any recommendations/thoughts on anything?! Thank you!

Breast lift at 18 years of age

Thanks for your question and photographs.  Breast lift surgery is an excellent procedure to reshape the breasts and many young women in my practice report increased self-confidence and self esteem following this procedure. The decision to have a breast lift, a breast augmentation or a combination of procedures will ultimately depend on what your desired final results.  You may be happy with a breast augmentation alone in the short term but its likely down the track you would require a revision breast lift with implants to address breast sagging and to achieve fullness to the upper portion of your breast.  Your areolas could be reshaped at the same time as your breast surgery.

Is 18 too young for a breast lift

18 is not too young.  It is important to discuss all your options during a consultation after reviewing your goals.  Your options may include having a breast lift only (to address the sagging appearance with the tradeoff being breast scars) or having a combination of augmentation and a lift (to give more fullness as well as improve shape).  At such a young age, it is important to note that if you decide to move forward with implants, you will likely need future surgery as implants require interval replacement.

Elizabeth Kim, MD

Is 18 too young for a breast lift

Breast shape, volume and skin laxity are more important factors than age in determining the need for a breast lift. I often see young women with no children who have loose, saggy breast. The decision as to whether to have only a breast lift, only a breast augmentation, or a combination of both really depends on what your goals are for the final result. In your situation, an implant will add more volume to the upper breast, but will not address the amount of sag you currently have. A lift alone will improve your shape and slightly increase the upper pole volume at the expense of incisions on the breast. A lift with an implant will both increase your volume, and elevate the breast and nipple/areolar complex.

Is 18 Too Young for a Breast Lift?

18 is not too young, but a breast lift may not actually be the best procedure to meet your goals. Adding volume above the areola might well accomplish all your goals with a breast enlargement, requiring way less incision and resulting scarring.

The position of the the nipples and areolas, the commonest reason for a lift, is quite normal.

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Is 18 Too Young for a Breast Lift?

If you want more fullness above the areolae, you may want to consider implants.  If you want to have a breast lift with areolar reduction, this can be done as well.  18 is not too young for this surgery.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lift procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Is 18 too young for a breast lift?

Hello! Thank you for your question. Breast lift is an excellent procedure to rejuvenate of reshape the breasts.  Women who have the breast lift done report increased self-confidence, self-esteem, and more comfortable with her body. In fact, it has been one of the the most popular procedures in plastic surgery in the US for the past few years. Many surgeons use 18 years of age as the standard for when to offer an aesthetic procedure to women. Maturity and the ability to make an educated decision for yourself of whether this procedure is the right one for you as well as factors regarding implant choice, size, incision placement, position of the implant, other adjunct procedures, etc are major factors. Having the maturity to understand all of the risks and benefits of the surgical procedure is also mandatory - thus, most are readily able to comprehend this at that age. However, your breasts will continue to grow and change with age, gravity, pregnancy, weight gain/loss - so this is something to consider in your decision.  But, a consultation once you are ready to at least hear the discussion can be done at any time. 

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon well-versed in this procedure. Research your surgeon's education, training, as well as ability to perform this procedure. See postoperative photographs and most importantly choose the one who you feel most comfortable with and competent to meet your expectations. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Age for breast lift surgery in Los Angeles

You may benefit from either a breast implant to improve upper pole breast volume, an areolar reduction, or a simple breast lift.  Genetic factors may influence early or late drooping of the breasts. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Need for breast lift

You are not too young for breast surgery at 18. Depending upon what you want, you might consider an augmentation for larger and fuller breast. This will not lift the breast, and lifting does involve more scarring. Remember, with pregnancy and breast feeding, your breast will probably change. At your age, I would consider the augmentation. After you have had all the children you desire, then consider lifting.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

18 is not too young for breast lift but few patients that age are good candidates.

If I were you I would not have a mastopexy. The breasts are attractive and not deserving of the incisions required for mastopexy. If you want to be somewhat larger breast implants will give the appearance of the lift.

Is 18 too young for a breast lift

If your main concern is lack of tissue above the nipple then a Breast Implant will help fill the upper pole and give you a nice cleavage.

If the droopy/saggy breast is the major concern that you would like addressed then a Breast Lift will suffice, although the lift will not address the upper pole fullness.

If both are your concerns then the answer is Implant + lift

Hope this helps