Can I Get a Breast Lift Without Removing my Nipple Piercings?

The presence of nipple piercings will not interfere with breast lifting or reduction surgery.   For sterility reasons, they should be removed during surgery. Best wishes.

What about nipple piercings?

I always recommend to my patients that a foreign body like a piercing be removed temporarily before surgery. At the appropriate time, these can be re-inserted. See what preferences your PS has. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

These devices cannot be sterilized, and do conduct electricity. The infection rate and the burn risk are both unacceptably high, and I doubt you would find a board certified plastic surgeon willing to participate in an experiment that has already been done and has failed. 

Body piercings need to be removed before surgery

All body piercings need to be removed before any surgery.  They are a source of infection and could conduct electricity used during the procedure and cause a burn.  It is a common misbelief than piercing holes will close up immediately when the piercings are removed.  This is not true, they do not close up.  You will be able to reinsert your piercings easily once the surgery is over.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Body piercing at surgical site

All metal piercings need to be removed before surgery for the use of an electrocautery in the operating room. If your piercing is close to the surgical site as in your case with the nipple rings, we remove them before surgery, have them sterilized during and reinsert immediately after surgery under a sterile dressing. Breast of luck. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Breast operations with Nipple Piercings?

All piercings should be removed prior to surgery involving the use of electrocautery due to the risk of arcing (conduction of electricity towards the piercing) and possibility of an unwanted significant burn.  Nipple piercings in general can increase the risk of infection and capsular contracture should you additionally get an augment due to the risk of transmission of bacteria towards the implant particularly if the implant is subglandular. Just something else you may wish to consider in consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Warm regards,

Dr Quinton Chivers

Breast lift and nipple pier

Nipple piercings need to be removed during surgery because electro cautery is generally utilized . If left in the nipple could sustain an electrical injury.  They can be replaced right after surgery so not to  risk compromising the hole.

Breast lift and nipple piercings

Nipples piercings should come out before surgery so that there is not undo injury from the cautery.

Nipple piercing and breast lift

Hi,

If you are using the cautery during your surgery, the anesthesiologist will require the removal of the nipple studs if they are metal.  They may cause an injury to your nipple bud.  The facility will also probably have the same rule.

However, it is very easy to remove the piercing before you go to sleep or before your procedure and then reinsert them while you are asleep as nipple bud tunnels tend to contract and thus make it more painful to reinsert after you are awake.

Work it out with your doctor and this will not  be an issue.

Many thanks for an amazing question. Yes you can, is the short answer. The surgeon has to remove what ever you are wearing in your nipple at the beginning of surgery and put them back at the end of surgery. Wish you good luck.