I'm 18 years old with droopy, downward slanting eyes. What treatment would you recommend? (photos)

I'm an 18 year old girl who has droopy, downward slanting eyes that are uneven. I would really like my eyes to slant upwards and not be so droopy. What procedure would be the best choice for me?

Doctor Answers 5


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The procedure that deals with changing the shape/position of the eyelid corners is called canthopexy/canthoplasty. This procedure is often done in patients post trauma or surgical damage, and sometimes in patients with congenital deformities.

In your case, where the downward slant is mild, the effect may be something you are not necessarily happy with, and it can be difficult to reverse if you are unhappy with it. Think long and hard before deciding to go forward with the procedure, but it can be done.

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

18 Year Old with Downward Slanting Eyes?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for posting the photos and question. But I would not recommend any surgery at your age and for this genetic/racial minor issue. But best to be seen in person by a boarded doc. 

Lateral Canthoplasty For Downslanting Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Lateral canthal respositioning can change the vertical position of the outer corner of the eye. It is a delicate procedure that requires careful  adjustment to avoid an overpulled or too tight of a corner lift.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Consult with an experienced Facial Cosmetic Surgeon who has lots of photos regarding repairs of your condition.  Good Luck!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Downward sloping eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This can be a tricky procedure in a young patient.  The lateral canthus (outer corner of the eyelids) normally is about 3mm higher than the medial canthus (inner corner).  To change this, the eyelid has to be dis-inserted from the bone and moved up.  It can be done, but can end up causing unwanted distortion in the upper lid.  Find a surgeon with experience in this procedure and hopefully some before and after photos to confirm good outcomes before considering this.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.