Will Working out After Liposuction Make Me More Swollen?

I had a tummy tuck in 9/2009 and loved the results. I started to workout in 1/2010 but I felt like I was all of sudden gaining weight. I decided to get my upper abs lipo b/c after having a breech 10 pound baby, I just could not get rid of the fat in my upper abs. So I had it lipo on 6/18/2010. I just took off my binder last thursday, I feel like I doubled being swollen. And now I am afraid of working out and making it worse. Will it become worse working out or should I try something else?

Liposuction and weight gain

+1

Working out after liposuction is unwise.  It can dramatically increase the risk of seroma formation.  Concerning you situation, it seems to me that your pregnancy had a great deal to do with your weight gain versus working out.  It is always best to complete your family plan prior to body contouring surgery.

Dr. ES

Resuming Working Out after Liposuction

+1
With a history of a Tummy Tuck in Sept 2009 followed by abdominal Liposuction in June 2010, exercise should be resumed slowly 6-8 weeksafter the liposuction procedure. There will be more swelling initially and with time, asthe lymphatic vesselsreform, such swelling will resolve.

Liposuction and Postoperative Care

+1

In general I have my patients start working out about 6 weeks after liposuction or tummy tuck surgery.

I do tell them that once they start working out they will start to swell more by the end of the day and when they wake up the swelling will be gone.  They will tend to do this until about 4-6 months out from surgery, when by then the body has adjusted and the swelling does not wax and wane.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Exercise will swell the swollen tissue

+1

you should wait to exercise until the surgeon approves of it. In general, exercise will make swelling worse and that could compromise your healing.

Ronald Shelton, MD